Re: Africa's crisis of Governance

Wed, 12 Aug 1998 08:50:00 -0700 (MST)
PAT.LAUDERDALE@asu.edu

A different analysis of the issues is available in an article by Toggia and
Lauderdale presented at the 1998 ISA meetings. You can access the article at:
wwc.cc.columbia.edu/sec/dlc/ciao/conf/lap01/

The article focuses more on the interaction between local and global forces in
Africa, especially Somalia. The historical processes of colonialism and
contemporary pressures of the international economic community, and the
failure of the Western model of the state are examined. In addition, even a
cursory analysis of Somalia from 1991 to the present and the recent changes in
Eritrea suggest that the comments below are inadequate, particularly in light
of any number of analyses from a world system or world-system perspective.

Even if the subject is governance (and of course it is since the concept of
governance is replacing identity in the 1990s as the latest icon) Abebe Zegeye
has a book series on Law, Social Change and Development, that contains a
number of more useful analyses. The series is published by Ashgate and the
books are available in most libraries. Examples are Jeannine Purdy's COMMON
LAW AND COLONISED PEOPLES, and Jill Cottrell's LAW OF DEFAMATION IN
COMMONWEALTH AFRICA. Also, the article by Maxted and Zegeye in the summer
1997 issue of the Iternational Journal of Comparative Sociology is most
helpful.

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998 kpmoseley@juno.com wrote:

> [...]
y> war-battered nation to become a trust territory of the United Nations.
> International football star
> George Weah, apparently exasperated by the anarchy and hopeless
> condition of his homeland,
> told the New York Times in May 1996: "The United Nations should come in
> and take over
> Liberia, not temporarily, but for life. To make Liberians believe in
> democracy, to make us
> believe in human rights." For his outspokenness, two of Weah's female
> cousins were raped and
> his house burnt down by gunmen from one of the warring factions that had
> for six years turned
> Liberia into a killing field in a senseless war.
>
> Weah's comment was naive but understandable. Blaming Africa's woes on
> bad leaders has
> become the mantra of many people concerned about the continent's future.
y> A change in