globalism as conscious condition

Sat, 08 Nov 1997 11:34:11 -0800
Gareth Barkin (gsbarkin@artsci.wustl.edu)

Richard K. Moore wrote:

> As I'll be using the terms, globalization is the process, globalism is the
> philosophy, and both refer to a concious elite program of power usurpation.
> Apologies if this seems like language usurpation. (:>)

It seems unlikely that it would in all situations be a conscious process; plenty
of the elite have bought their own disinformation, or the disinformation of their
predecessors, in such a way as to create what can amount to an entirely
unconscious maintenance of the status quo (or worsening there of), as per
Gramsci's hegemony (a different concept than everyone's since, although I believe
he was first to popularize the term). I would certainly allow for some
consciousness in this 'power usurpation,' however, I would be quite surprised not
to find some of what those economists call 'path dependency' as well. In other
words, we tend to take for granted the power structure of the world we are born
into -- I'm sure no one here does, or rather, thinks they do, but we don't
comprise the elite, and these processes are instrumentally unconscious to begin
with.

Gareth Barkin

Department of Anthropology
Washington University in St. Louis