Re: World Party

Thu, 2 Oct 1997 00:31:12 -0400
Ronald J. Deibert (r.deibert@utoronto.ca)

At 05:37 PM 10/1/97 -0400, you wrote:

> Rather, such a movement should devise a strategy for assuming
>power globally over the opposition of this fifteen percent of the
>population. This would involve bogging the USA+EU+Japan down in
>pan-Southern counterinsurgency, fomenting immigrant and underclass
>volatility, destabilising Northern economies by disrupting transnational
>economic links (eg. oil), splitting the Northern leadership as it attempts
>to save its own necks, and ultimately carrying out an occupation of those
>areas of the world that consistently obstruct majority will. Such a
>strategy, I emphasise, would bypass Southern governments altogether as
>wholly irrelevant in the new transnational order. A truly global
>movement, in other words....
> Any reactions? (I am thankful rotten tomatoes do not travel by
>e-mail....)
>
> Regards,
> --AKW

Yes, I can see it now. A ragtag group of academics, who cannot even agree
on how to address each other, form an absentminded plot to divide and
conquer the G7. Of course, explaining (let alone coordinating) the plan to
the vast majority of people on the planet might be difficult -- it might
take time. We will need translators, some khaki outfits (though certainly
not from "The Gap"), and a leader to stand out front. Someone with charisma
and the ability to construct lengthy polemical speeches night after night.
I nominate Andrew Wayne Austin! Heck, if it doesn't succeed, we could
always pitch it to Woody Allen as a sequel to Bananas!!

Cheers,
Ronald J. Deibert
Department of Political Science
University of Toronto