Re:Engaging the Public (SSS): What Activists and Citizens Can Learn From WST

Mon, 15 Sep 1997 11:51:44 -0500
J. Timmons Roberts (timmons@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu)

Re: Joya Misra's call for Southern Soc'l Soc. participation:

>Rebecca Adams, president of the Southern Sociological
>Society, created the theme because (as she states) "If we are
>to have any impact on life outside of our discipline, we
>must. . . find ways of inciting sociological thought among
>nonsociologists. We must find ways of engaging
>administrators, policy makers, members of the communities
>we study, members of other disciplines, and other
>professionals in sociological dialogue."

Nice point and I agree.

Do people like the idea of a PEWS conference on "What Activists and Citizens
Need to know about World-Systems Theory" ?? The goal would be to translate
our work into a handbook written in plain English, with case-studies of
important cases.

Just an idea.

Timmons Roberts

--