[Fwd: AfD National Convention Registration and Accommodations]

Fri, 12 Sep 1997 11:19:30 -0400

chriscd@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu; Thu, 11 Sep 1997 18:28:01 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 16:19:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: AFDMail@aol.com
Subject: AfD National Convention Registration and Accommodations
To: AFDMail@aol.com, edethman@trinity.edu, edis@iasate.edu,
khashe@cu.denver.edu, khosmer@mail.coin.missouri.edu, kidlee@mcn.net,
kimblej@spot.colorado.edu, kingar@worldnet.att.net, klaidman@hsc.usc.edu,
kmacorp@compuserve.com, kmills@email.unc.edu, knudson@logan.cass.usu.edu,
kokelly@email.unc.edu, konrad@online.no, kortge@gorge.net,
kozuch@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu, krause@gonzaga.edu, kriley@bayou.uh.edu,
krishrt@prodigy.com, kshulm@portland.caps.maine.edu, ksl@igc.apc.org,
kthomson@civicnet.org, kugwydd@nauticom.net, kunkin@cinenet.net,
kvinson@lawsun.law.fsu.edu, kwargo@flash.net

THE SECOND ANNUAL ALLIANCE FOR DEMOCRACY NATIONAL CONVENTION
Thursday, October 30 - Sunday, November 2, 1997 (important
pre-conference sessions on Wednesday, October 29),
Mount Conference Center, Atchison, Kansas

Join Alliance colleagues from around the country this Halloween
to haunt corporate agribusiness and Declare Independence from
Corporate Rule. We meet in the mid-America town of Atchison, Kansas,
birthplace of Amelia Earhart 100 years ago.

Last year we founded the Alliance in the Texas hill country where
the 19th Century American Populist movement began to grow. This
year we honor Kansas, where the Populists organized cooperatives,
achieved massive self-education, and refused to concede to large
corporations the economic and political power to which they had
no democratic right and no democratic legitimacy.

We will reaffirm those principles by celebrating our own
Chautauqua and challenging corporate agribusiness as our
political forebears did. BRING A COSTUME TO TRICK OR TREAT AT
nearby corporation and for our Food Circle dinner and Halloween party.
Confirmed speakers so far include Alliance founder Ronnie Dugger,
co-chair Ruth Caplan, human rights leader and activist
comedian Dick Gregory, and international organizer against NAFTA and the
Multilateral Agreement on Investment (MAI) Tony Clarke of Canada,
with many surprise guests expected.

The four-day program begins with pre-conference dialogue
Wednesday, Oct. 29, about Alliance constitutional issues and
writing a Declaration of Independence from Corporate Rule. Come
and speak up on questions that will determine our future!

Convention goals:
(1) set future strategies and actions;
(2) launch alliances with others who share our vision,
emphasizing multicultural links;
(3) revitalize the issue networks (task forces) begun last year
and add new ones as needed (e.g., on global democracy and trade,
the corporate chartering and governance process, tobacco and
international public health, biogenetics and biopiracy, and
social security and the stock market);
(4) establish our internal democratic governance policies and
practices; and
(5) explore future Alliance projects. Ideas: a world computer
clearinghouse on alternative economics and human-sized economic
forms; renewable energy sources and democratic public utilities;
a permanent corporate education project that would publish
essays, reports and booklets; and field work to build a
nationwide Alliance movement.

SEE BELOW FOR INFORMATION on transportation, housing and
meals. REGISTER NOW on the form provided to get early-bird
benefits. Then COME--and help build a populist people's movement
to shape a democratic future for our own and future generations.

Dear Folks,

Here is our Registration Form and Accommodations Sheet for the Alliance for
Democracy's 1997 Annual Convention. Please mail registration and checks to
the Alliance for Democracy, P. O. Box 683, Lincoln, MA 01773 and contact
Marie Smith our Registrar for reservations at the Mount Conference Center
ONLY. All other accommodations should be contacted directly.

Thanks,
Laura Jennings-Cranford
Northeast Regional Representative
Alliance for Democracy

REGISTRATION FORM FOR THE SECOND ANNUAL CONVENTION
FROM OCTOBER 29 TO NOVEMBER 2, 1997
OF THE ALLIANCE FOR DEMOCRACY
AT THE MOUNT CONFERENCE CENTER IN ATCHISON, KANSAS

Please complete a separate form for each person attending the Convention.

Name________________________________________________________________
Address______________________________________________________________
City ___________________________________State ______Zip ________________
Home phone _______________________ Work phone ________________________
Fax ___________________________E-Mail _________________________________

If member of Local Alliance, which one? ____________________________________

Date and Time of Arrival, airline/flight #, if known
_____________________________
Date and Time of Departure, airline/flight #, if known
___________________________

Registration Fee Per Person (Type of Registration Per Person) PICK ONE.

Earlybird (postmarked before October 1st, 1997) -- $150
_____________________
Regular (postmarked on or after October 1st, 1997 -- $175
___________________
Part-Time -- Per Person Per Day -- $50 per Day X ___ Days =
________________

Will you have children with you who will need child care? _______Yes
________No
If yes, please list their names and ages here, and attach a registration form
for each child.

ACCOMMODATIONS (See Accommodations Sheet):

Indicate nights required: ____ Wed. (optional), ____ Thurs., ____ Fri., ____
Sat.
Indicate which accommodation:____________________________________________
__________ nights X ______________ rate = ______________________________
Indicate how many in room __________ Indicate Name(s) of Roommate(s)
________

In calculating your transportation and meal needs for the Convention, please
mark each transportation service and/or meal in the spaces provided, then
calculate the total amount of your cost and write TOTAL in the space
provided.

LOCAL TRANSPORTATION:

We will provide transportation (bus and van) between the Kansas City Airport
and the Mount Conference Center according to the schedule below. Please
indicate which schedule you prefer. You will want to plan your flights
accordingly. If you are currently unsure about your travel arrangements,
please complete the balance of this form anyway, then notify us later of your
local transportation needs. Charter bus and van fare is due no later than
October 8, 1997. We will do our very best to deal with your transportation
needs. We will provide transportation to and from the Platte City Comfort
Inn and the Conference Center at a fixed time for a small fee. However, we
are requiring those staying at St. Joseph motels to provide their own
transportation. One option is to consider renting a car at the Kansas City
Airport.

BUSES

FROM: Kansas City Airport to Mount Conference Center -- Wednesday, October
29, 1997
Leave 2:30 PM -- Arrive 3:10 PM -- $10.00 $ ___________________________
Leave 4:30 PM -- Arrive 5:10 PM -- $10.00 $ ___________________________
FROM: Mount Conference Center to Kansas City Airport -- Sunday, November 2,
1997
Leave 2:00 PM -- Arrive 2:40 PM -- $10.00 $ ___________________________
ROUND TRIP -- $20 TOTAL -- TOTAL $ __________________________TOTAL

Page 2

REGISTRATION FORM FOR THE SECOND ANNUAL CONVENTION
FROM OCTOBER 29 TO NOVEMBER 2, 1997
OF THE ALLIANCE FOR DEMOCRACY
AT THE MOUNT CONFERENCE CENTER IN ATCHISON, KANSAS

MEALS AT MOUNT CONFERENCE CENTER

Meals will be served buffet-style according to our Convention schedule.
Conventional and vegetarian fare is available at each meal. Variations can
be accommodated (vegan, low salt, low fat, etc.) if notice of them is
received by October 1st, 1997. For those individuals attending the complete
convention, the twelve meals (from Wednesday dinner through Sunday lunch)
will cost $88.00. Participants not requiring overnight accommodations may
also use this meal plan. PLEASE CHECK MEALS.

Wednesday, 10/29 Dinner $9 Day Total $9
Thursday, 10/30 Breakfast $6 Lunch $7 Dinner $9 Day Total $22
Friday, 10/31 Breakfast $6 Lunch $7 Dinner $9 Day Total $22
Saturday, 11/1 Breakfast $6 Lunch $7 Dinner $9 Day Total $22
Sunday, 11/2 Breakfast $6 Lunch $7 Day Total $13

MEAL TOTAL FOR CONVENTION IS $88.00 TOTAL $ _______________________

Total Meals for Convention -- $88 _______ OR Total Designated Meals $
_______

If you have any dietary restrictions, disabilities, or special circumstances
you would like us to accommodate, please describe briefly and notify our
registrar, Marie Smith at 816-523-1813 or by email at "marie@micro.com."
_________________________

Please consider adding, if you can, to your convention payment $50.00, or
some other sum, for a fund that is dedicated to helping those for whom the
registration is a hardship.

If you have not paid your 1997 dues as a member of the national Alliance,
please add your contribution here. Membership contributions begin at $15,
are suggested at $30, or more.

TOTAL DUE:

Registration Fee ______________________________________________________
Accommodations Only at Mount Conference Center _________________________
Meals ______________________________________________________________
Local Transportation __________________________________________________
Donations to Assist Other Attendees ____________________________________
National Alliance Membership Contribution ________________________________
TOTAL DUE WITH REGISTRATION _____________________________________

Please make your check payable to "The Alliance '97 Convention" and send it
with this registration form to the national office at the address below. (No
credit cards, please.) For information, call our registrar, Marie Smith at
816-523-1813 or email at "marie@micro.com." Please let us know of your plans
as soon as possible!

The Alliance for Democracy
P. O. Box 683
Lincoln, MA 01773
Telephone: 617-259-9395
Fax: 617-259-0404
Email: peoplesall@aol.com

Page 3

ACCOMODATION INFORMATION FOR THE SECOND ANNUAL CONVENTION
FROM OCTOBER 29 TO NOVEMBER 2, 1997
OF THE ALLIANCE FOR DEMOCRACY
AT THE MOUNT CONFERENCE CENTER IN ATCHISON, KANSAS

ACCOMMODATIONS AT THE MOUNT CONFERENCE CENTER:

The Mount Conference Center, 710 South 9th, Atchison, KS 66002 --
913-367-1162 or 800-467-1164. Dormitory -- 108 rooms. Each room has either
1 double bed and 1 single bed or 2 twin beds, and two rooms share one bath.
Single occupancy is $34, double occupancy is $38, and triple occupancy is
$43 per night. Rooms are available for people with disabilities. First
come, first served. For reservations, please call Marie Smith at
816-523-1813 or email address is marie@micro.com. Please call Marie Smith in
regard to any special needs or dietary requests.

FOR OFFSITE ACCOMMODATIONS, MAKE RESERVATIONS DIRECTLY. Specify that you are
with the Alliance for Democracy Convention.

ACCOMMODATIONS IN ATCHISON NEAR THE MOUNT CONFERENCE CENTER

Comfort Inn, 409 South 9th, Atchison, KS 66002, Adjacent to Mount Conference
Center -- 913-367-7666. 25 rooms (each with 2 queen beds) -- $48 plus tax
for 1 or 2 persons, $52 plus tax for 3 persons, $56 plus tax for 4 persons.
36 rooms (each with 1 queen bed) -- $48 plus tax for 1 or 2 persons.

Atchison Motor Inn, 401 South 10th Street, Atchison, KS 66002 (Junction of
Highways 73 and 59), One block from Conference Center -- 913-367-7000. 10
rooms (each with 2 queen beds) -- $40 plus tax for 1 or 2 persons, $4 for
each additional person. 15 rooms (each with 1 queen bed) -- $34 plus tax for
1 person, $38 plus tax for 2 persons.

Glick Mansion Bed and Breakfast, 503 North Second Street, Atchison, KS 66002
-- 913-367-9110. 4 guest rooms with private baths at $79 to $99 per night.

MOTELS 20 MILES FROM THE MOUNT CONFERENCE CENTER

Comfort Inn, Highway 92 & I-29, Platte City, MO 64079, 22 miles from
Atchison; 6 miles from Kansas City Airport, Shuttle service available to
and from airport. -- 816-858-5430. 40 rooms (each with 2 queen beds) --
$59.95 plus tax for 1 person, $69.95 plus tax for 2 persons, $76.95 plus tax
for 3 persons, $83.95 plus tax for 4 persons.

Motel 6, 4021 Frederick Avenue, St. Joseph, MO 64506, 20 miles from Atchison
-- 816-232-2311. 97 rooms (each with 2 queen beds) -- $35.99 plus tax for 1
person, $41.99 plus tax for 2 persons, add $3 for each addition person.

Super 8 Motel, 4024 Frederick Avenue, St. Joseph MO 64506, 20 miles from
Atchison -- 816-364-3031. 18 rooms (each with 2 queen beds) -- $50 plus tax
for 2 to 4 persons; 20 rooms (each with 1 queen bed) -- $45 plus tax for 1
person, $50 plus tax for 2 persons.

Note -- St Joseph, MO motels are 20 miles from the conference center. It will
be necessary that conferees staying at St. Joseph motels provide their own
transportation. One option is to rent a car at the airport. By
prearrangement, rental cars could be shared among delegates. There are
several other motels in St. Joseph. For more information call Ben Kjelshus
at 816-924-3003.

CAMPING

Camping is encouraged for those well-equipped for camping with a taste for
some risk about the weather. Average temperatures in early November for
northeast Kansas are: highs at 58 degrees and lows at 41 degrees. If needed
we will provide transportation between the camp sites and the Mount
Conference Center at fixed times for a small fee.

Lake Warnock -- 3 miles from Mount Conference Center. Primitive camping.
Also available 16 RV sites with electric outlets, $5 per day. Call Ben
Kjelshus for map -- 816-924-3003.

Lewis and Clark State Park -- A scenic area alongside the Missouri River. 5
miles from the Conference Center. 70 camping sites including 44 RV sites.
Basic site is $6 per day; electric site is $12 per day; and sewer-electric
site is $15 per day. Call Ben Kjelshus for brochure -- 816-924-3003.