Re: institutional racism

Sat, 19 Jul 1997 02:39:29 -0400
David Lloyd-Jones (dlj@pobox.com)

: Andrew Wayne Austin <aaustin@utkux.utcc.utk.edu> writes:

>In the US, intact black families, on the average, are poorer than white
>single female families. I suppose this reflects of a problem of black
>families not having a "fiercely burning" "desire for education."

I don't know what Andy claims here.

I have already pointed out that while US people's incomes are pretty much
level by age and education, regardeless of "color", there is neverhteless a
group called "black familes"who have less assets than most other groups.

I have also, following the Fed's excellent and astringent ways, pointed out
why this is so: a couple of generations of banks cheating black working
people with good credit and normal mortgageable property.

This is a deep shame and horror.

I think, however, that good policy is better served by the style of clean
analysis to which I aspire than by the heavy histrionics with which Andy
bores us daily.

-dlj.