Re: top ten +

Wed, 11 Dec 1996 18:02:16 EST5EDT
Terry Boswell (TBOS@social-sci.ss.emory.edu)

I would add to the list,

Modelski and Thompson's _Leading Sectors and World Powers_.

For understanding more contemporary global issues like the rise of
the NICs and "globalization," I recommend,

Phil McMichael's _Development and Social Change_

and

Peter Evans' _Emedded Autonomy_.

More?

Date sent: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 11:46:23 -0500
Send reply to: chriscd@jhu.edu
From: chris chase-dunn <chriscd@jhu.edu>
To: WORLD SYSTEMS NETWORK <wsn@csf.colorado.edu>
Subject: top ten

to Charles J Reid and others interested, the 10 most necessary books
are:

start with Richard J. Shannon, An Introduction to the World-systems
Perspective, Westview press 1996 (2nd edition).

then the classics:

Fernand Braudel, The Perspective of the World, Volume 3 of Civilization
and Capitalism. now published by University of California Press.

Immanuel Wallerstein, The Modern World-System Vols. 1-3

Andre Gunder Frank, World Accumulation 1492-1789

Samir Amin, Accumulation on a World Scale

Joshua Goldstein, Long Cycles

Christopher Chase-Dunn, Global Formation

Giovanni Arrighi, The Long Twentieth Century

Christian Suter, Debt Cycles in the World-Economy

Christopher Chase-Dunn and Thomas D. Hall, Rise and Demise

That is more than ten if you count all the volumes. Only two of them are
by me because I am trying to appear modest.

chris
Terry Boswell
Department of Sociology
Emory University