Re: WSN digest 191

Wed, 11 Dec 1996 15:45:08 -0500 (EST)
ba05105@binghamton.edu

Lessee...
Strictly author's own opinion (of course) and lets keep in mind that
Worlds Systems is a perspective rather than a precise theory...

1) The Modern World System Vol 1. Immanuel Wallerstein

2) The Perspective of the World Fernand Braudel

3) The Great Transformation Karl Polanyi

4) Before European Hegemony Janet Abu Lughod

5) Long Twentieth Century Giovanni Arrighi

6) Logic of World Power Franz Schurmann

7) Europe and the People Without History Eric Wolf

8) Patriarchy and Accumulation on a World Scale Maria Mies

9) Unthinking Social Science Wallerstein

10) PUrsuit of Power William McNeil

Above is a list heavily influenced by Grad program here in Binghamton.
INterestingly,most of the above books are stabs at their questions rather
than definitive resolutions. And I'm struck by how I can't even think of
a stab at the question of how the processes of the modern world system
(or, if people prefer, the 5,000 year world system) has affected the
non-human world and vice versa.