world system or world-system?

Sun, 8 Dec 1996 23:27:57 EST5EDT
Terry Boswell (TBOS@social-sci.ss.emory.edu)

"World system or world-system?" was the original title of my previous
post. A mishap in our misbegotten computer system was responsible
for the mistake of changing it to "delivery failure." At least
Gunder enjoyed the computer's editing.

I thought some definitional clarity might resolve some of our
differences, and despite claims to the contrary, there were several
significant points of agreement in the rejoinders. Gunder agreed
that the pre-1500 Afroeurasian system was a world system (without
hyphen, i.e., a set actors with meaningful interactions) and not a
world-system (with hyphen, i.e., a densely interacting set of
actors with a division of labor that encompases the basic
neccessities of life of the majority of the population). I do not
know when (or even if) he thinks it became an integrated world-
system (1650?, 1820?, 1989?). More important, however, is agreeing
on the concepts, as resolution now depends on empirical evidence on
the degree of integration and division of labor in the system to say
if and how it changed from one type to the other (or at least
moreso, if we do not get lost in the politics of "centrisms").

If one agrees that the loose Afroeurasian world system became an
integrated world-system, then one needs a theory of transformation
(what I call of the rise of capitalism and no better name has been
suggested). The transformation thus cannot simply be a cycle or
shift in the old A system, as Al seems to claim. In fact, the
empircal story being told by all concerned is of a BREAK in the A
system caused by the Arab intervention in the silk routes and an
EXOGENOUS introduction of the Americas into the equation. Marx, by
the way, was not entirely endogenous as his 'primitive accumulation'
starts with the exogenous introduction of the Americas. But, I agree
with Al about Weber.

If one denies that there was a transformation, then one is left
with the more difficult empircal position of saying that the degree
of integration, division of labor, and penetration into daily lives
of the system is not really different in kind now than it was 500 or
1000 or 5000 years ago. To claim as such, would in effect deny the
difference in the two meanings of the term "system." Once the
difference in the terms is recognised, then it becomes increasingly
difficult to deny the transformation.

As I have said before, knowing more about the long life of the "A"
world system and of the role of China in it, makes the
capitalist transformation all that more remarkable and important.
However much I disagree on other matters, for me, the work of Frank
and others is a tremendous contribution on that score and to
demonstrating the expanded utility of world(-)system theory. So much
so, that Al's long sought for paradigmic shift may have already
ocurred. That is a topic I would like to shift to and hear from
others about.

And if so, what is the source
and development of the modern world-system out of the ancient world
system?

the degree of integration and extent of a division of
labor

He
has also agreed that pre-1500 Europe was not capitalist. He may
think that there is no such thing as capitalism, but that is at least

more easily r