Re: eurocentrism

Sat, 7 Dec 1996 16:47:39 -0500 (EST)
A. Gunder Frank (agfrank@chass.utoronto.ca)

THAT = what Bergensen says = is what I have been trying to say,
first in my 1991 critique of Wallerstein [reprinted in Frank & Gills 1993]
then in my 1994/95 critique of Braudel and Wallerstein [eg. in Sanderson
ed. 1995] and now at much greater length and not limited to the CRITIQUE
of received theory from Marx Weber to Wallerstein [and Frank!], bur
extending to offering an ALTERNATIVE, which is also not limited to showing
that Asia did OK [as Bergesen correctly attributes to me] -- indeed did
MORE and BETTER until 1800 - but offering a WORLD economic analyis of
why the East "declined" and the West "rose" [cyclically=temporarily!]
and HOW they did so IN RELATION to each other, both as part and parcel of
a truly WORLD SYSTEM [NO hypen!] structure and dynamic, which far exceeds
in time and space the Wallersteinian "capitalist" "modern world-system"
[with a hyphen]. Only Bergesen and his literally literary skills say it
much better and much shorter! [When my son Paulo was 15 years old, he said
in one sentence what it took me several books to TRY to say: "If Latin
America was colonial, it could NOT have been feudal." In "our"
terminology, it could not have been feudal if it was part and parcel of
the "world-system." We [ I dunno if at the age of 33 Paulo now
wants to or not, but apparently Bergesen and I are doing so] might
extend the same idea/wording to read "IF EUROPE WAS PART OF THE WORLD
SYSTEM, IT COULD NOT HAVE BEEN "capitalist." Much less could Europe have
been the locus/inventor of "capitalism"!

Happy Pearl Harbor Day!! - reflect on that!!!
Gunder Frank

n Sat, 7 Dec 1996,