Re: Wagar's World

Fri, 26 Jul 1996 23:49:53 -0600 (CST)
Kerry (macdonak@Meena.CC.URegina.CA)

On Fri, 26 Jul 1996, Andrew W. Austin wrote:

> Terry Boswell's choice between a democratic world state and an
> authoritarian world state is a false dilemma. Societies do not have to
> have a state any more than they have to have social classes.

I would disagree both with the comparison as well as your assertion.
Classes are predicated upon a particular economic relationship which is
unequal (the elimination of that unequal relationship eliminaates the
objective basis for classes), however, there is and would be a need for
coordinaating institution (state-like for the semantically challenged :))
where people can practice their democracy.

I would argue that the state, in some form or other, the institution is
necessary for any group of people above the personal relationship of a
band. One can argue about how such an institution would be constituted
but it's need would exist. Any complex societal arrangment needs such
an institution. Granted, the vast majority of said institutions have
been authoritarian and supportive of the existing societal inequalities,
however, that does not necessarily mean that there would not be a need
for such an institution.

IMO, to call for the eradication of the state is idealistic, though the
demand that we need an institution which fills many of the functions of
the state which is more democratic is appropriate. There is a need for
some sort of institution that reflects the needs of that complex social
arrangement we call society.

Well that's my two cents.
kerry