Re: Latin American sociologists meeting--books (fwd)

Fri, 13 Oct 1995 10:32:30 -0600 (CST)
Macario Schettino (mschetti@colmex.mx)

On Thu, 12 Oct 1995, Christoph Chase-Dunn wrote:

> There is also a new journalistic account on the EZLN that has been=20
> getting a lot of attention, and apparently some critcism from supporters=
=20
> of the movement as well as praise from those who see it as a thorough and=
=20
> objective description of the genesis and evolution of the Zapatistas. =20
> The book is "La Revolucion de las Can~adas" by Carlos Tello Diaz (Cal y=
=20
> Arena, 1995).
>=20
> Max J. Castro
>=20

From=20Mexico, I wouldn't agree that the book by Tello D=EDaz is an objecti=
ve=20
description of what has happened here. While I don't doubt many things=20
reported in it are true, some of them have no clear reference, even being=
=20
fundamental for the analysis. Moreover, I don't see the whole truth=20
there. Tello D=EDaz hhas published another book before "El Poder. Historias=
=20
de Familia" where he talks about the history of Porfirio Diaz in Paris,=20
after exile. The book is bad. Badly written, bouncing from theme to=20
theme. I see lack of ideas, and lack of writing abilities...

Macario Schettino