Criticisms of Cardoso at ALAS meetings

Wed, 11 Oct 1995 09:41:07 -0400 (EDT)
s_sanderson (SKSANDER@grove.iup.edu)

From: NetMail%"mcastro@umiami.ir.miami.edu" 10-OCT-1995 16:35:24.45
To: NetMail%"SKSANDER@grove.iup.edu" "s_sanderson"
CC:
Subj: RE: your mail

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 16:33:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: mcastro@umiami.ir.miami.edu
Subject: Re: your mail
To: s_sanderson <SKSANDER@grove.iup.edu>

Regarding criticisms made of Fernando Henrique Cardoso's policies at the
meeting of ALAS (Asociacion Latinoamericana de Sociologia).

The essential criticism of Cardoso, which often came up more as allusion
than as a direct analysis, was that he has bought into the logic of
neoliberalism and globalization with a vengeance.

Emir Sader, of the Universidad de Sao Paulo, made the most explicit
criticisms that I heard. He offered the observation that Brazilian
interest rates are twice as high as those of the countries with the
next highest rates in support of the notion that on this matter Cardoso
is applying an extreme version of the model.

As there were seventeen concurrent working groups at the conference, I
cannot say if others defended Cardoso in these sessions.

Max J. Castro
North-South Center

Please feel free to post these comments to any list you wish.