Re: request for help on WST (fwd)

Fri, 11 Aug 1995 15:19:49 -0400 (EDT)
Bill Haller (wxhst3+@pitt.edu)

On Fri, 11 Aug 1995, Thomas D. [Tom] Hall, THALL@DEPAUW.EDU wrote:

> Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 08:33:59 -0500 (EST)
> From: Thomas D. [Tom] Hall, THALL@DEPAUW.EDU <THALL+@DEPAUW.EDU>
> To: WORLD SYSTEMS NETWORK <wsn@csf.colorado.edu>
> Subject: request for help on WST (fwd)
>
> WSNers,
>
> Below is a message I am forwarding from H-World (a moderated world history
> list) with persion of author. I've sent one short bib suggesting shannon's
> book.
>
> In subsequent exchange of email with Robert Strayer he raised a question
> about how WST & postmodernism relate, given that one of the pomo critiques
> of WST is its inherent universalism...
>
> tom hall

For a piece that takes a rather critical point of view, he might look at
a book chapter by Charles Ragin and Dan Chirot (1984) titled "The World
System of Immanuel Wallerstein: Sociology and Politics as History" pp.
276-312 in Skocpol (ed.) __Vision and Method in Historical Sociology__
published by Cambridge University Press. Ragin and Chirot do take one or
two serious shots at Wallerstein in this piece. Whether or not they're
treating him fairly might be an interesting question for students in a
history seminar to discuss.

Bill Haller \/ University Center for Social
Department of Sociology /\ and Urban Research (UCSUR)
University of Pittsburgh \/ 121 University Place, 6th floor
email: wxhst3+@pitt.edu /\ Pittsburgh, PA 15213-9972