anti-nuke letter (read 1st)

Tue, 18 Jul 1995 08:40:37 -0400 (EDT)
Bill Haller (wxhst3+@pitt.edu)

It seems there have been some technical problems with the chain letter
asking France to stop nuclear testing. They are summarized below. Please
do not reply to the letter or pass it on to others. The following
contains alternative instructions for anyone wanting to participate in this
effort.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 1995 03:40:30 GMT
From: Yuichi Nishihara <keshi+@uticeaix1.icepp.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Subject: This reply is made automatically

Dear Madames/Sirs,

This reply is made automatically.
Due to the enormous amount of mails I'm recieving, it is now
completely impossible for me to answer to your mail. I have some
announcements.

1. The chain letter, "Stop Nulcear Tests!" is no longer wanted to
be distributed. We have changed our method to collect names
of people who are against the Nuclear Tests of France. We have
opened a WWW site, and names put down using the easy fill out forms
on the site will have the first priority. The adress of the WWW site is,

http://www.icepp.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~keshi/

We have much more information there than we had on the chain letter.
We have collected 10378 names from 74 countries/regions by Mon
Jul. 17.

2. For those of you who had sent me back the lists, thank you very much
for participating in this. We will include your list in our list
which is to be sent to Mr. Chirac, but it will not appear as fast
as the signs made via WWW. We couldn't help it, but I think there
is noone who can manage more than 2000 mails per day. If you want to
have your name on the list faster, please try our WWW site. Don't
worry about duplications because it is rather easily eliminated by
using the sort program. And ofcourse before sending it to Mr. Chirac,
it will be very carefully checked.

3. If you had distributed our chain letter to your friends, thank you
for your support, but please try to stop your friends from distributing
it further. And also, tell your friends about the WWW site, and
tell them to sign via WWW if they want their names on the list.
What you should do about the list you have: if you had not yet
sent the list back to me, please send it back with only the list
part with it. That means, please cut the banner and the sentences
away.

4. About the chain letter: after distributing our first chain letter,
we have realized there were many problems in our chain letter,
and then, that using chain letter was inadequate from the begining.
We have sent our second chain letter to go after the first one,
since that was the only way we could think of to stop the first
one from spreading. However this is not working so well, and now
many sites around world is having unnecessarly high traffics
and are getting into troubles.
We deeply apologize for having started a chain letter. We hearby
declare that we will never ever start such thing and also never
distribute one when we recieve other chain letters, no matter
what the content may be.
If you see anywhere anyplace in the network about this chain
letter, please tell people that we have realized the inadequateness
of our method and trying our best to stop further distributions.

5. If you had recieved our letter with only "Dear Sirs" on it,
we are very sorry about this. It comes from our poor knowlege
of English: in Japanese, we don't have differnt ways to call
to Men and Women. Those of you who had added "Dear Madames" or
changed it to "Dear people" and so on, thank you for your help.
To gather many peoples power was from the begining our scheme.

6. We have already told all our story to our postmaster, and they
have understood us. So, it is no use complaining about us to
him. We are trying our best to stop what we have started.

Sincelery,

Yuichi Nishihara
Shimizu Seishi

both Physics student at University of Tokyo.