(Fwd) Support for J'e historians

Wed, 12 Apr 1995 08:58:52 MDT
J B Owens (OWENJACK@fs.isu.edu)

Perhaps this message will interest some list members.
Jack Owens <owenjack@isu.edu>, Idaho State Univ.

From: <F26461@sinet.ad.jp>
Date: 12 APR 95 17:03:21
Subject: Support for J'e historians
To: emjnet@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

To: the Organization of American Historians
H-Asia Network
Early Modern Japan Network
Re: WW II and Japan
I have been asked to forward the following message from the two
leading organisations of historians in Japan, asking scholars and
other persons interested around the world to submit opinions to the
Japanese government concerning the desired form and content of a
"Document Centre" concerning Japan and WW II, or perhaps one might
say, Japan in the first half of the 20th century. Please note that
the deadline for submitting proposals is close (end of this month).
Opinions may be submitted in any language you chose. The letter
enclosed has also been translated into Korean and Chinese, and
sent to historians in the countries concerned.
Yours faithfully,
J. F. Morris
Department of Intercultural Studies,
Miyagi Gakuin Women's College,
9-1-1 Sakuragaoka, Aoba-ku,
Sendai, 981 JAPAN
E-mail: f26461@sinet.ad.jp

*
Dear Sir/Madam,
We represent the Society of Japanese History (Nihonshi-
kenkyu_kai) and the Historical Science Society of Japan (Rekishigaku-
kenkyu_kai). These two organizations wish to ask historians around
the world to submit their opinions to the Japanese Government on its
proposal to establish a foundation, tentatively named the "Document
Centre of Asian History."
The Centre was proposed by Prime Minister Tomiichi Murayama in
a speech made in August last year. The institution will collect
documents with the purpose of "reflecting on Japanese aggression
and colonial domination" and to "facing the history of relations
with neighbouring Asian countries." However, discussions between
the Cabinet Secretary's consultation office of foreign policy,
which is in charge of the preparatory work for the Document Centre,
and our societies have aroused many doubts whether the Document
Centre will be established in line with the official statement of
the Prime Minister.
In a discussion held on January 30th this year we submitted
the following requests to the consultation office of foreign policy:
(1) that the purpose of the Document Centre is to clarify Japanese
responsiblity and Japanese aggression during the War, and that the
Document Centre be strictly managed in the spirit of this aim;
(2) to urgently uncover and study unreleased government documents
concerning aggression and colonial domination, and to take the
initiative in releasing documents pertaining to the history of
modern Japan that are in the possession of Japanese institutions;
and (3) to gather and deploy archivists with the necessary technical
and research abilities.
The consultation office of foreign policy, however, was extremely
negative toward each proposal. It is a great hindrance for the
promotion of studies on the modern history of Japan and her
neighbouring countries and on the history of wars, that most of
the documents concerning the Japanese Government remain unopen
to scrutiny. Even a slight will to remedy this situtation cannot
be found on the side of the consultation office of foreign policy.
We believe that the Document Centre will not be able to take
the initiative in opening the documents of Japan and promote
international historical studies on the principle of equality and
reciprocity. We believe the Document Centre will merely collect
documents from foreign countries in a one-sided manner.
This year marks the 50th anniversary of the end of World
War II. We Japanese historians are increasing efforts to make it
common sense for the Japanese Government and the Japanese people
to reflect on and apologize for Japan's past aggression. We think
it most important that the character of the Document Centre of
Asian History not be obscured. A group of experts under the Cabinet
Secretary, is drawing up "proposals" concerning the Document Centre.
The proposals will be submitted in June. The consultation office of
foreign policy is publicy inviting opinions from individuals and
organizations both inside and outside of Japan.
We presume historians in your country must have some opinions
about the unreleased documents in Japan and the "recognition" of the
War by the Japanese Government. We would like to ask you to submit
your opinions to the Japanese Government.
In representing our respective historical societies, we would
like to profess our continuing efforts to co-operate with historians
around the world for the opening, exhibition, preservations and
common ownership of historical documents.
Yours faithfully,

(Kazuki Iguchi) (Masanori Nakamura)
Chair, Chair
Society of Japanese History Historical Science Society of Japan

P.S. Please send your opinions to the following:
Group of Experts Considering the Foundation of the Document
Centre of Asian History (tentative)
c/o Cabinet Secretary's Consultation Office of Foreign Policy
Nagata-cho 1-6-1 Chiyoda-ku,
Tokyo, 100 JAPAN
The deadline for submitting opinions is April 30th, 1995.
We would be obliged if you could send us a copy of the opinions
you have submitted. Please send us your opinions directly if you cannot
meet the deadline.
Our address:
Historical Science Society of Japan
Seika Bldg
Kanda jinbo-cho 2-2, Chiyoda-ku
Tokyo, 101 JAPAN
(Note: The Japanese-language announcement from the Cabinet Secretary's
Office inviting opinions attached to the original letter has been
abbreviated in this e-mail version.)