Fw: March 8, 1995

Thu, 2 Mar 1995 12:40:08 -0500
Chris Chase-Dunn (chriscd@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu)

------------------------------
From: Berch Berberoglu <berchb@scs.unr.edu>
Thu, 2 Mar 1995 04:44:39 -0500
To: Multiple recipients of list <psn@csf.colorado.edu>
Subject: March 8, 1995

Dear PSNers:

As current chair of the Marxist Sociology section of the ASA and a former
student of Al Szymanski, I would like to bring to your attention an
important date, Wednesday, March 8, 1995, which marks the 10th
anniversary of the untimely death of Al Szymanski.

Like me, some of you were Al's students; others were friends and
associates. Some, like myself, agreed with much of what Al had to say
while others were critical and sometimes even hostile to his views and
beliefs. Whatever may be the case, one thing is clear: Al occupied a
central place within the radical/Marxist sociological tradition from the
1960s through the '70s and the early '80. Besides my academic experience
with Al at Oregon (he served as chair of both of my comprehensive exam
committees and my dissertation committee) my most memorable days were our
weekly Insurgent Sociologist editorial collective meetings and quarterly
typesetting and mailing parties that usually ended at Al's back yard with
homemade chili and volleyball games. Enough of the nostalgia. Al will
always be remembered by friends and foe alike.

In commemoration of this 10th anniversary (which, according to the note he
left behind, it has a special significance--for he referred to "March 8,
International Women's Day") I would like to initiate a special 1995
Al Szymanski Memorial Thesis or Dissertation Research Award with a
prize of $500 each to be given to four graduate students nationwide. This
means that our goal will be to raise $2000. With $100 tax-deductible
contributions each, we will need 20 donors to accomplish this task. At
$50 each 40 are needed etc. Whatever one can afford, I think this would
be a great way to honor Al and at the same time help four graduate
students pursue their thesis or dissertation research in Al's footsteps.
Similar to the Section's Szymanski student paper award (which does not
come with a cash prize) this award will be administered through the
section with details of publicity and the setting up of a selection
committee to be worked out later but in time for the awards to be given
at the ASA meetings in Washington in August.

Although all contributions will be sent by each donor directly to the ASA
for deposit in the Section account under the designated special fund, I
would like all initial pledges to be made to me directly via e-mail.
These can be publicly posted to the PSN address or can be sent to me
privately indicating whether the person wishes her or his name to be
announced publicly as part of the donors' list on PSN in the Marxist
Section Newsletter, and at the meetings. Whatever the procedure, and
here I welcome comments and suggestions regarding the mechanics, the
important thing is to make this happen in remembrance of Al.

To kick off the pledge campaign, I, Berch Berberoglu, pledge $100 to
start with, plus $1 for each pledge of $25 or more (up to a total
contribution of $200 from me). If my math is correct, to secure $200 from
me we will need a minimum of 100 donors contributing $25 each, which
adds up to $2700, in which case I propose to contribute the $700 to the
section general fund to be used to recruit new (subsidized) student members
to increase our section membership.

Well, what do you say? Is it a deal? OK, now repeat after me: I PLEDGE $....

I look forward to hear from all of you as soon as possible; my target
date reach our goal is, you guessed it, MARCH 8. Thanks for your support.

In Solidarity,

Berch

Berch Berberoglu, Chair Phone: (702) 784-6647 (office)
Department of Sociology and (702) 786-4497 (home)
Director, Institute for International Studies
University of Nevada, Reno Fax: (702) 784-1358
Reno, NV 89557 USA E-mail: berchb@scs.unr.edu
Prof. Chris Chase-Dunn
Department of Sociology
Johns Hopkins University