Some PV analysis
by Tim Jones
22 December 2003 21:23 UTC

Convincing and compelling comments regarding what we will
have to come to terms with after the coming world peak in oil production.
The following post substantiates some ideas and policy points that
should be adopted by candidates for national office Mr. Lawrence's
"what if" may be the idea that spares civilization from the dieoff the
gloom&doomsters insist is the inevitable fate of mankind.

I would add that a healthy dose of resource conservation (increased
CAFE standards) would decrease energy consumption by a few million
bbls of oil a year too. Money saved by conservation could be turned
to pay the bills for renewable energy production as well as attenuating
many of the bad effects and expenditures regarding pollution mitigation.

(excerpt)
Another ER'er made the salient point: what if we invested $87B in
rooftop (photovoltaic) systems?  Or how about $400B?  I would add: what if we
had taken a tiny fraction of the military budget since 1975 and
invested it in foreign aid that actually made life better all over
the world?  (The US gives less in foreign aid than any other
industrialized country - and much of that goes to Israel and
Georgia).  And what if we invested the rest in efficiency and
renewable energy all over the world?  Maybe we wouldn't be perceived
as a terrorist target any more than Canada, or Switzerland, or the
Netherlands, or Finland.  Maybe the world would see the US as a
country from which they could get grant money for supervised energy-
efficiency projects, not the superpower cop to be hated and feared.

Well just a naive Christmas holiday wish.  Happy New Year to all!
Dick Lawrence
Warm regards,

Tim