[energyresources] Re: Paradoxically, global warming mayprecipitate an ice age....
by Tim Jones
21 December 2003 04:53 UTC

At 7:10 AM -0600 12/20/2003, npat1@juno.com wrote:
 > > ... while the globe as a whole gets warmer by tiny
 > fractions of 1 degree Fahrenheit annually, ...
(snip)

Tim,

Do you know the numbers (tiny fractions of 1 degree Fahrenheit annually)
?
See
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=global+warming+temperature+rise&btnG=Google+Search
http://www.ucar.edu/news/072001.html
(excerpt)
"There's a nine out of ten chance that global average temperatures will rise 3-9 degrees Fahrenheit over the coming century, with a 4-7° increase most likely, according to a new probability analysis by scientists in the United States and Europe. As early as 2030 the planet is likely to heat up 1-2°, say the scientists. A one-degree temperature rise was observed over the past century. The study appears in the July 20 issue of the journal Science."

"A one-degree temperature rise was observed over the past century." This appears to me to indicate tiny
fractions. The fraction would be 1/100 of a degree per year. "As early as 2030 the planet is likely to heat up 1-2°," My impression is that as more greenhouse gasses are released into the atmosphere the fractions may be getting larger.
See also:
http://www.brighton73.freeserve.co.uk/gw/temperature.htm#surfacetemperatures
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/globalwarming.html
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/observe/surftemp/
http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/info/warming/

http://www.wmo.ch/web/Press/Press657.html
(excerpt)
As a new century begins, the global mean temperature is 0.6ƒC above those at the start
of the 20th century. The year 2000 will be the 22nd consecutive year with the global
mean surface temperature above the 1961-1990 normal.

"Tiny fractions" seems to be the implied consensus.

I think the fractions of increase in global temperatures are NOT so tiny.
 The NOT so tiny increases in temperatures and humidity will overwhelm
cooling effects due from the change in path, slow down or shut down of
the Gulf Stream.
I disagree. The temperature rise seems to me to go from about a hundredth of a degree last
century to a thirtieth to a fifteenth in the next thirty years. The WH scientists are looking at
a 10 to 20 year time frame for the ocean current collapse. One degree warmer does not equal
10 degrees cooler if the numbers are right.

The researchers at Woods Hole are getting people worked
up over something that will not be very serious or noticeable, if at all,
on climate time scale (more than a few months).
I'm not qualified to second guess the Woods Hole folks. What I read every day is that glaciers
are melting like never seen before, the arctic pack ice is half as thick as it was a (decade) previously.
(This is not a precise recollection as to a date.) Nevertheless as a fresh water blanket insulates
warm Gulf Stream water from the cooling effects of northern climes the mid ocean conveyor will
be perturbed by a lack of the down-thrust of cold sinking seawater from the northern Atlantic.
If the Gulf Stream ceases to circulate northern Europe would not realize the climatological effects
of this warm water. In the short term it would become as cool as Alaska well before the greenhouse
effect warmed it back up. But Alaskan permafrost is melting too. These intricate relationships are the
subject of a dissertation.If I really had the answer to all this I'd be out cornering the market on long
underwear and coats or boats and bathing suits as the case may be.

 > > Joyce says. So while the globe as a whole gets
 > > warmer by tiny fractions of 1 degree Fahrenheit
 > annually, the North Atlantic region could, in a decade,
 > get up to 10 degrees colder. What worries researchers
 > at Woods Hole is that history is on the side of rapid
 > shutdown. They know it has happened before. "
(snip)

I have not researched this myself, & I don't have Internet here at home
so I am not looking up the linked information.
High speed Internet (Google) for research is invaluable. But often the data
you want you have to pay for through a subscription to a scientific journal.
In this case - "Nature."

 However, I am doubtful that there is good data that shows a rapid
decrease in climate
What does a decrease in climate mean?

for the region during a period of rapid global warming when the starting
condition are like today.
There are no starting conditions that recapitulate what is happening today.

The last period of rapid global warming during
an already warm period preceded the Paleocene Eocene Thermal Maximum
(PETM) 55 million years ago.  Do researchers at Woods Hole have good data
on what happened preceding the PETM?

 > >What worries researchers
 > > at Woods Hole is that history is on the side of rapid
 > > shutdown. They know it has happened before. "
I'd suggest e-mailing them for verification of this assertion.
<education@whoi.edu> for starts.

I would appreciate additional replies on this threat include a Cc
To: Paleontology_and_Climate@yahoogroups.com (P&C)
It would be helpful if you first became a member of my P&C yahoo group,
which has open membership with post currently not moderated until after
posted, see:
Done

Pat
Minnesota

Tim
Texas

Tim Jones  writes:
 Melting of the arctic ice cap.....
 http://www.discover.com/sept_02/featice.html
 (excerpt)   "It could happen in 10 years," says
 Terrence Joyce, who chairs the Woods Hole
 Physical Oceanography Department.
(snip)