Re: Immanuel Wallerstein: America and the World: The Twin Towers as Metaphor
by g kohler
12 October 2003 13:27 UTC

Re Wallerstein's article at:

In my reading the article is a "reaffirmation of the faith"-type of
statement.
The article has a publication date of December 2001, at which time the
United States was in a state of shock and trauma.

(a) Wallerstein writes near the end of the article:
"for us moral choice."

My interpretation: As the French existentialists of the resistance believed,
we have freedom (moral choice) even in a dungeon.

(b) IW writes:
"But at the end of the process lies the possibility, which is far from the
certainty, of a more substantively rational world, of a more egalitarian
world, of a more democratic world - of a universality that results from
giving and receiving, a universality that is the opposite of globalization."

My interpretation: This is the reaffirmation of a faith at the moment of
national political traumatization.

Gert