Re: What really is Andre Gunder Frank's position on worlds?
by Elson Boles
13 August 2003 21:54 UTC

Well, you mistakenly attribute any "working assumptions" to me, as all I did
was lay out differences between IW's and Gills and Franks positions.  As to the
sea-change of evidence you reference, I'm certainly interested in seeing
concrete arguments.

I'd add that there's much more to it than finding interactions among people and
then declaring "Eureaka!" I've found the REAL history of a bigger system.  A
Stremlin notes, "If we aspire to larger and larger systemic explanations, why
should trade and accumulation (as opposed to ecological exchanges or even
timeless physical laws) occupy the center of our attention?"

Elson

Elson E. Boles
Assistant Professor
Sociology
Saginaw Valley State University

Elson Boles wrote:
> Thanks Gunder for your time.  Yes, we're done.  Comments from others CCd
>would be appreicated.
> Elson
>
> Elson E. Boles
> Assistant Professor
> Sociology
> Saginaw Valley State University
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The basis of your working assumption is that the 'New World'
was isolated prior to 1492. This assumption is based on a
paradigm that has been eroding for several years due mainly
to forensics, mitochondrial dna studies and ethnographic
evidence. The 'land bridge theory', which has been orthodox
for four hundred years, is falling more out of favor with
even the most conservative archaeologists, and has been
replaced by the 'coastal migration theory'. I cannot begin
to recount the landslide of new evidence here, but it has
been increasingly clear that:

1) the small tribes, clans and sub-polities of the 'New
World' were outlier vassal states of a centralized authority
and its core area of Teotihuacan.

2) that Mesoamerica had an ongoing relationship, and indeed
was a outlier area, of the dominant center of capital
accumulation,... Hangzhou, China. Recent advances in
archeo-astronomy and translation of the Mayan pantheon of
gods has indicated that Chinese 'tribute bearing missions'
have been visiting Mesoamerica since the formation of the
city-states at La Venta and San Lorenzo. Moreover, with the
uncovering of the God K or Kawil, even the shipping schedule
can be synchronized with the 819 day cycle.

With the discoveries at Monte Verde, Chile and Lucia in
Brazil (predating anything Clovis), all of the assumptions
about the peopling of the 'New World' are in a state of flux
unequaled in the field of  New World pre-history.

The ambiguities of Mr. Frank and Gills are rooted, I would
think, in a realistic approach to rapidly emerging data.
Conversely, the contradictions you point out are based on an
increasingly shaking paradigm.

Duncan Craig