Re: Structuralism - ECLA-style and Levi-Strauss/Saussure style
by Andre Gunder Frank
21 July 2003 05:01 UTC

AGF QUICK RESPONSE INTERSPRESED IN CAPS
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Carl Nordlund
wrote:

> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 03:28:42 +0200
> From: Carl Nordlund <carl.nordlund@humecol.lu.se>
> To: 'Andre Gunder Frank' <franka@fiu.edu>
> Cc: wsn@csf.colorado.edu, 'Jeffrey Sommers' <JSommers@ngcsu.edu>
> Subject: SV: Structuralism - ECLA-style and Levi-Strauss/Saussure style
>
> Frank,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> >more correct would be doctrine that structure shapes, generates,
> defines, determines function.
>
> I agree partly. (If structure generates function, i.e function doesn't
> affect structure, there is no dynamics in the system, thus making it
> "all", i.e positional movements between core, semi-periphery and
> periphery, just a deterministic unfolding of inherent structures,
> something which isn't supported by the last 5000 years of history, I
> think.)
I SEE IT EXACTLY THE OTHER WAY AROUND. NOBODY SAYS THAT DUCTION DOES NOT
AFFECT STRUCTURE, ONLY THAT STRUCURE IS MORE IMPORTANT. BUT IT IS
FUNCTION THAT MAKES STRUCTRURE CHANGE AND TRANSFORM, OR THERE WOULD BE NO
MOVEMENT

> >I would say that THAT is where the use came from in re ECLA/CEPAL - an
> answer to the
> >micro-econ analysis and policy recommendations that says structure
> matters.
>
> Ok! For me, at this point, the code-word is "micro-econ" here - thanks!
>
> >That is, the exact opposite of the Friedman Chicaho-school! - where3
> have you been?
> >Ilearnee economic theory in Friedman's class, and it said nothing like
> structuralism
> >ecla or otherwise.
>
> Of course it is the exact opposite - where did I say it wasn't?! But as
> I didn't attend the Friedman lectures in the Chicago school (the "where
> have [I] been?" should rather be "when have [I] been?"), I haven't got a
> clue whether the term 'structural' could be backtracked to the modernist
> thoughts of that time, perhaps in any way explicitly attached to ECLA:s
> (and Keynes, for that matter) reaction to the strict neo-classicism of
> the Chicago school of 1920-1950.

I THOUGHT YOU WROTE MONETARIST - HENCE FRIEDMAN.
WELL YES OF COURSE,  ISI IN 3RD WORLD, BUT ALSO IN 2ND, IS KEYNESIANISM
WITH ANOTHER NAME

> >I think the ECLAS did not regard ''interna'' strucrure as sepoarate
> from >''external"strucrue.
>
> Ok. I got the feeling that they somehow did, based on the facts that
> they thought that the peripheral position could be changed by
> national/internal action (ISI, industrial programming and fostering,
> inviting foreign capital etc), that the peripheral position was just the
> egg from the faulty chicken (flawed internal production structures), and
> that the view on external historical structures as "the chicken" came
> first with your 1967/1969 writing.
 I DONT UNDERSTAND YOU. IF THEY THOUGHT THAT PERIPHERAL POSITION
=STRUCTRURE COULD BE CHANGED BY INTERNAL ACTION = FUNCTION TO USE YOUR
TERMNOLOGY, THEN OF COURSE THEY ARE SAYING THAT THEY ARE CONNECTED.
MY WRITINGS WERE IN 1962,63,64 - IT TOOK THAT LONG TO GET THEM PUBLISHED
BECAUSE THEY WERE SO OUTLANDISH, EVEN THOUGH '' STRUCTRURALLY'' THEY WERE
ABOUT THE SAME AS ECLA.
> >I think yo are terribly wrong about WS when you say
> >> focus on the structure of social systems instead of the internal
> >> attributes of the elements constituing such systems
> >thats utter non-sense.  first of all the main thesis oif WS  both
> Wallewrsteins and mine >has been that there is ONE SINGLE WORLD SYStEM
>
> Yes, I am familiar with the singularity view taken by you, Wallerstein
> among others. Personally, I am more a proponent of using it in with
> hyphen and in the pluralis (inspired by Chase-Dunn/Hall's "Rise and
> demise") and with a more 'perceptional' definition of "world" here, as
> this whole systemic approach is indeed very usable on non-global
> geographical and conceptual scales as well.

NONSENSE. ITS NOT A QUSTION OF VIEWS, BUT OF YOUR MIS-ATTRIBUTION TO/OF
WHAT Ws WITH OR WITHOUT HYPNEN SAYS. IT SAYS WHAT IT SAYS, WHICH IS THE
OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU SAY. YOU ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION, BUT NOT TO SAY
IT IS OURS. THE LAST SENTENCE IS OF COURE TRUE IF STRUCRUREE MEANS/DOES
ANYTHING, WHICH IS WHERE WE DO AGREE. BUT THAT IN NO WISE PRECLUDES USING
IT ALSO ON A GLOBAL SCALE, WHCUH INCIDENTALLY iw DID/DOES NOT SINCE 8/10TH
OF HUMANITY WAS OUTSIDE HIS SYTEM TILL AFTER 1750. BUT THE REAL POINT IS
ANOTHER: IS STRUCTURE JUST A FIGMENT OF OUR IMAGINATION, SOIMETHING THAT
WE MENTALLY IMPOSE ON REALITY, OR IS REALITY ITSELF STRUCURED. MY ANSWER
IS OF COURSE THE SECOND. BUT THAT APPLIES TO THE GLOBAL SYSTEM AS WELL.
WHETHER I CALL OR APPORACH IT THAT WAY OR YOUR WAY OR ANY WAY, IT IS STILL
A GLOBAL STRUCRUREAL REALITY.  iF NOBODY WAS THERE TO SEE THE TREE FALL
AND THEN SAY SO, DID IT, THE PHILOSOPHER ASKED? THE ANSWER IS OF CLOURSE
YES IF IT did FALL.

> >the strucfure and the ' elements'are not separate/able entitites. thee
> is no abstract
> >structure in/ of a void. the point is their RELATION. and how  the
> structure of the
> >whole system shapes the attrributes of the elements - i dunno what the
> difference is
> >between the elements and their attributes, strim,es me as more utter
> non-sense.
>
> I don't get this, I must admit! If we choose to define the parts
> (actors/elements) of the world system (or hyphenated depending on
> conceptual taste) as national-state economies, each with their specific
> (internal) 'attributes' (such as gdp, unemployment rates, institutional
> arrangements, production structures etc etc etc), then we also have a
> set of relations between these 'elements' which, you and I believe ("the
> structure of the whole system shapes the attrributes of the elements"),
> affect the 'attributes' of each respective elements. But these
> attributes (such as gdp, gini-coeffs etc) are surely quite different to
> the elements - the elements are national states! (We might have a
> difference in terminology here - I am influenced by social network
> analysis and Bertalanffy system theory here. For me, I see the structure
> of a system and the relations between actors in a system as the same
> thing).

NONSENSE OR AT LEAST IRRELEVANT. HOW3EVER WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT THE
ATRRIBUTES OF fRANCE, WHAREVER THAT IS, THEY ARE STILL SHAPED BY FRANC ES
PARTICIPATION IN THE WS. LAST SENTENCE IS OK.

> > Of course there is no structure in a
void. But analytically, there is
> indeed a point in separating structure from elements - I do believe we
> can draw more conclusions if we focus on the relations/structures, as
> you say, instead of focusing on internal aspects, i.e looking more for
> exogenous than endogenous causes for underdevelopment.
>
> >apologies for the uncalled for personalism
>
> No offense taken.
>
> Yours,
> Carl

EQUALLY SO, GUNDER