Re: [Fwd: commentary 117]
by Threehegemons
17 July 2003 19:33 UTC

In a message dated 7/17/2003 1:03:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bstremli@binghamton.edu writes:

> Although the Iraq situation is causing the US some discomfort, the army
> (1.5 million strong, I believe) is far from being tapped
> out.

The US army has troops all over the world--and at a time of transnational
terrorism, they can't reduce bases to skeleton crews.  They have over 100,000
troops in Iraq.  That doesn't count the troops in Kuwait, doing support work.
There are also troops in Afghanistan.  And large numbers of troops are needed
to maintain the army in the US.  Not bringing troops home promptly is costly
for Bush politically; if they could do it, they surely would.  I also wonder
how their recruitment is doing, when the appeal is no longer 'join the army,
learn some skills, get some money for college', but instead 'stand around in
Iraq getting shot at.'  Barring another major terrorist attack (not an
impossibility) I think it will be hard to sell the American public on another
intervention in the short term.

As for Dean--he has been moving to the right as his star has risen.  I think he
is at risk of losing much of his support from the anti-war movement.
Meanwhile, the center-right establishment which has dominated the Democratic
party for years is not going to go down without a fight.  It will be great if
the Democrats can run someone with some momentum and unity, but I wouldn't bet
on it.

Steven Sherman