Re: Goffman and Existentialism
by Michael Pugliese
09 July 2003 20:34 UTC

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 08:10:34 -0700, Michael Pugliese <debsian@pacbell.net> wrote:

Guess those pointers weren't explicit, enough, sigh.
Above all, in these early works we can see Erving Goffman as the ethnographer of the self. In The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life he provides us with an introduction to the sustenance of the self in only normally problematic situations--in the social establishments that are part of everyday life, interaction with people who are reasonably well equipped and well inclined to collaborate in sustaining mutually agreeable definitions of self. Individuals work their performance so as to provide others with the materials by which they infer that a creditable self confronts them. The self is seen as the product of the various means by which it is produced and maintained. In Goffman's summary words, there are the "back region with its tools for shaping the body, and a front region with its fixed props. There will be a team of persons whose activity on stage in conjunction with available props will constitute the scene from which the performed character's self will emerge, and another team, the audience, whose interpretive activity will be necessary for this enterprise. The self is a product of all of those arrangements, and in all of its parts bears the marks of this genesis." (p. 253)

http://www.google.com/search?q=There+will+be+a+back+region+with+its+tools+for+shaping+the+body,+and+a+front+region

http://itsa.ucsf.edu/~eliotf/Celebrating_Erving_Goffman.html