Re: COUP d' ETAT IN WASHINGTON
by btws549
26 June 2003 06:42 UTC

I did think about the part on the encirclement of China, and just wondering if
the Chinese would know what to do about this geopolitical strategy by the Bush
administration. It is so obvious, but the mainstream press or academic circle
seem to be oblivious to this situation.

One question about all the alleged cowardly behaviours of the Congress and the
Media in the states, since the US is the democracy it is, why can't they speak
up? Is it because of nationalism, or is it because all the financial strings
and political powers are vested in this Presidency?
Nationalism is quite a hard argument to subsantiate, as the corporatist culture
with the migrant society in the US would make it difficult to really develop
such strong nationalist characteristics. Political power in the Executive can,
in theory, be curbed by the Congress, despite its limitations. But what we're
seeing are the most outright violations ever known, at least to me, by any
American administration, and the Congress is so helpless about it! Vested
interests in going along the lines of the administration? Or just plain
cowardice in challenging a wartime President?
Main question is, are they really cowed in because of these, or are there any
other reasons? I find it hard to understand their behaviour.

Justin