Re: Skidelski on co-operative hegemony
by Threehegemons
24 June 2003 18:07 UTC

In a message dated 6/24/2003 6:34:31 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gktbg1@tiscali.de writes:

> In a system of co-operative hegemony
> over the world, the lesser members of the hegemonial block (called "the
> great powers" by Skidelski, including EU, China, Russia) would have a
> civilizing influence on USA due to the working of a principle of
> "collegiality". In Skidelski's view, China could help with the taming of
> North Korea, Europe could help with managing the Middle East and, in the
> process, would have a moderating influence on the United
> States. This view
> seems to be similar to Tony Blair's outlook.

Wouldn't some sort of global democratic institutional order be preferable?
Regional institutions might be important, but surely Latin America, South Asia,
the Middle East and Africa need to sit as equals with Europe, Russia/former
Soviet Empire, the US, East Asia/China/Japan (or other divisions).  I think any
method that involves the north as treating the south as one giant 'security
problem' is a mistake.

Steven Sherman