Modernization Theory
by Shelton Gunaratne
22 June 2003 15:53 UTC

Modernization Theory arose from the work of Walt Rostow, Daniel Lerner, David
McClelland, Wilbur Schramm, Everett Rogers, and others. Its core assumptions
are found in Parsons's functionalist theory. Many call it the dominant
paradigm.

Dependency theory and the World-Systems Theory were instrumental in
discrediting the top-down Modernization Theory, which smacked of
"imperialistic" thinking.

The complexity sciences, particularly Prigogine' theory of dissipative
structures, make a mockery of the presumptions of the Modernization Theory:
linearity and rversibility of time. It's a West-centric theory, whose
usefulness is quite doubtful.

>===== Original Message From "Alan Spector" <spectors@netnitco.net> =====
>I have a student doing an independent study course on modernization.
Basically, what I need is the titles of two or three books on modernization
theory that explains it in simple terms. The student is not a sociology major
and does not have a strong background in sociological theory. This is meant
>to be a basic, introductory course, and readability is an especially
important aspect of these books.  So, if anyone can give me a few ideas, that
would be helpful. Feel free to e-mail me privately.\

>thanks,
>
>Alan Spector
>
>spectors@netnitco.net

Shelton Gunaratne, professor