labor law reform, etc
by Robert Ross
19 June 2003 16:16 UTC

Colleagues and Comrades
I am coming to the end of the revisions of my book on labor abuse in the
American and global apparel industry -- sweatshops. In the last chapter I
want to summarize the labor law changes needed to support revival of union
strength in this and other industries.  I have some ideas and information
about this, but I am also interested in your view of what the current
consensus "short list" is. With all due humility and thanks in advance I
really will appreciate your ideas, as brief as they might be.

By the way:  I want to call the book Hearts Starve:  the new sweatshops in
global context.  The publishers and at least one anonymous reviewer say no
one will get it, for the line from bread and roses is too obscure.  (our
lives shall not be sweated from birth until life closes/ hearts starve as
well as bodies, give us bread and give us roses.) I suppose I could call it
"hearts starve in the global sweatshop", but I'm not sure the publishers
will love that either.  Your response?

Salud
Bob

Robert J.S. Ross, PhD