Re: Prigogine & Co.
by Alan Spector
19 June 2003 01:57 UTC

I genuinely share Warren's intense aversion to trying to "prove" anything
about social processes based on processes in the natural sciences.  But what
if the natural science example in question is calling for humility or an
open-ended approach, rather than a narrow, positivist approach?

Also, when I teach about social change, for example, I critique the very
common notion of "mechanical quantitative change is all there is" by
explaining that sometimes there is fundamental change.............and I use
concepts like: watershed, point of no return, "if you burn a match you can't
just put it in the freezer and have it return to its previous state", or
that classic...... "critical mass". I suppose I'm using them more as
metaphor than as "proof".....even a universal concept like "change" doesn't
prove anything about any particular process......the match example offers no
evidence as to WHEN the match might ignite, for example.  So I generally
agree with Warren's caveats.....but with the understanding the natural
sciences is important to understanding the social sciences (and I say this
as someone who has angered many people with my intense opposition to the
ways "sociobiology" is generally promoted).  The new DNA research on
Neanderthals, indicating that we are descended not from them, but from a
group that migrated out of Africa fairly recently......that's certainly
relevant to discussing social phenomena and processes, such as the myth of
"biological race."

Just some thoughts,

Alan Spector

========