Re: Prigogine & Co.
by wwagar
19 June 2003 00:32 UTC

agree that Prigogine's research lends itself aptly to world-systems
analysis.  So did Hegel's at-the-time state-of-the-art dialectical
metaphysics lend itself well to Marxian analysis of the vicissitudes of
world history, not to mention the seeming correspondence that Marx
discovered between Darwin's theory of the origin of species and his own
theses on class struggle.

        It is always wonderful when we can imagine we have found
consilience between nature and society, a greater truth uniting all being.
But there were numberless Hegelians who read Hegel quite differently from
Marx, and numberless Darwinians who read Darwin quite differently from
Marx, and Marx's empirical research and moral compass really didn't need
either Hegel or Darwin to certify its enduring credibility.

        My point is that social scientists should be not just wary, but
absolutely reluctant, to seek confirmation of their findings in the realm
of the natural sciences.  The essential difference remains that natural
scientists deal with inanimate stuff, and social scientists deal with
animate us, i.e., human beings.  The gulf is measureless.

        Warren