Re: Habermas-Derrida 31may03 English - Machine Translation
by Michael Pugliese
16 June 2003 18:58 UTC

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/15789.ctl
Borradori, Giovanna Philosophy in a Time of Terror: Dialogues with Jürgen Habermas and Jacques Derrida. 224 p. 5_1/2 x 8_1/2 2003

Cloth $25.00 0-226-06664-9 Spring 2003

The idea for Philosophy in a Time of Terror was born hours after the terrorist attacks on 9/11 and came to realization just weeks later when Giovanna Borradori sat down with Jürgen Habermas and Jacques Derrida, in separate interviews, in New York City. Habermas and Derrida evaluated the significance of the most destructive terrorist attack ever perpetrated. The resulting book is an unprecedented encounter between two of the most influential thinkers of our age: here for the first time Habermas and Derrida overcome their antagonism and agree to appear side by side in this book.

In her introduction, Borradori contends that philosophy has an invaluable contribution to make to the understanding of terrorism. Just as the traumas produced by colonialism, totalitarianism, and the Holocaust wrote the history of the twentieth century, the history of the twenty-first century is already signed by global terrorism. Each dialogue, accompanied by a critical essay, recognizes the magnitude of this upcoming challenge. Characteristically, Habermas's dialogue is dense, compact, and elegantly traditional. Derrida's, on the other hand, takes the reader on a long, winding, and unpredictable road. Yet unexpected agreements emerge between them: both have a deep suspicion of the concept of "terrorism" and see the need for a transition from classical international law, premised on the model of nation-states, to a new cosmopolitan order based on continental alliances.

As Derrida and Habermas disassemble and reassemble what we think we know about terrorism, they break from the familiar social and political rhetoric increasingly polarized between good and evil. In this process, we watch two of the greatest philosophical minds at work.

Table of Contents PREFACE Philosophy in a Time of Terror ACKNOWLEDGMENTS INTRODUCTION Terrorism and the Legacy of the Enlightenment--Habermas and Derrida PART ONE Fundamentalism and Terror--A Dialogue with J’rgen Habermas Reconstructing Terrorism--Habermas PART TWO Autoimmunity: Real and Symbolic Suicides--A Dialogue with Jacques Derrida Deconstructing Terrorism--Derrida

Subjects: Philosophy: General Philosophy
History: History of Ideas
Political Science: Political and Social Theory

The University of Chicago Press