Current info on U.S. class structure?
by Alan Spector
05 June 2003 21:39 UTC

I'm revising an article I wrote as an essay in an edited collection. Unfortunately, I have a very short deadline (like immediately)....and my campus library is sorely lacking in resources. I'm looking for a few simple statistics---nothing very technical---on statistics current for year 2000.....

the proportion of self-employed entrepreneurs in the USA,

percentage of the labor force that own their own farms

percentage of the labor force that would be considered professionals

percentage of the labor force that would be considered managers

proportion of blue collar workers in the workforce

proportion of clerical workers

sales workers

, and service workers,

percentage of income earned by highest quintile in the USA,

percentage of income earned by the lowest quintile,

percentage of people below the poverty line,

and absolute number below the poverty line.

If I had a few weeks, I could probably find this fairly easily, but I'm drowning in teaching summer school and I assume that someone on these lists has these numbers at hand and/or could just point me to some easily accessible sources. If not, I can scour the internet and the university libraries in Chicago, but I'm mainly trying to save some time.......this is more of a descriptive/theoretical article than one which requires methodological precision.

If anyone out there has all or part of this info, or can direct me to some easy to get material, that would be great.......if not, I'm sure I can find it myself.

If you have the info, please send it directly to me rather than clogging up the e-mail boxes of everyone on the lists.

Thanks,

Alan Spector

spectors@netnitco.net