Re: Some provocative thoughts about looting in Iraq
by Elson Boles

This Al Jazeera article about Amnesty International's criticism of US
occupation relates to the issue of US protection (of oil, but not people or
cultural artifacts).

Wednesday 16, April, 2003 / Last Updated:  9:59PM Doha time, 1:59AM GMT

"US more keen on oil than Iraqi people"

Ruben Banerjee

Deeply concerned over the anarchic turn of events in  Iraq, Amnesty
International charged the US-led forces on Tuesday with being more concerned
about Iraqi oil well than the Iraqi people.

There seems to be have been more preparation to protect the oil wells than to
protect hospitals, water systems or civilians," lamented Irene Khan, the
secretary-general of the international human-rights group in what is the
strongest indictment of the US and its allies to date for their inability to
restore normalcy in Iraq since they ousted the government of Saddam Hussein.

British troops from the Heavy Machine Gun Platoon of the 1st Battalion Royal
Irish Battle Group enter southern Iraq under oil blackened skies against a
backdrop of burning oil wells

The first taste of the coalition's approach to law and order will not have
inspired confidence in the Iraqi people," insisted Khan at a news conference
held in London.

Criticism of the US-led forces is expected to get shriller following the
indictment from as influential a body as Amnesty.

For much of the past week, US-led forces have had to fend off simmering
discontent for doing precious little to restore law and order as also the
essential services like water and electricity in the battle-scarred Iraq.

The anarchic fallout of the war strengthened the belief in many that the US
were eyeing Iraq's huge oil reserves. Securing oil wells in Basra and Kirkuk
have - not coincidentally - been among the first tasks carried out by the US
troops after vanquishing the Iraqi army.

Protecting people should be a primary responsibility of any power than expects
to enter a country and justifies its intervention on the basis of liberating
the people or protecting their rights," said the Amnesty secretary-general.

On Iraq's future, Amnesty objected to leaders of the Kurdistan Democratic Party
and the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan taking part in a new government because of
alleged rights violations during a civil war in the mid-1990s.

Khan said the groups, which have shared control of northern Iraq since the 1991
Gul war, were responsible for many civilian deaths and widespread torture.

Amnesty demanded that the United Nations investigate rights abuses in Iraq both
before and during the present conflict.

Khan reminded that US-led troops were subjected to international laws on
occupying forces and obliged to protect Iraqi human rights.

In the face of mounting criticism for its inability to stem the lawlessness,
the US has been loathe to admit responsibility. US Defence Secretary Donald
Rumsfeld had accused the media of exaggerating instances of looting.

But international law stipulates that the US troops, the occupying force in
Iraq, maintain law and order and ensure the lives and property of its citizens.
-- Al Jazeera

Elson E. Boles
Assistant Professor
Sociology
Saginaw Valley State University

>>> <Threehegemons@aol.com> 04/15/03 11:37PM >>>
In a message dated 4/15/2003 8:08:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
spectors@netnitco.net writes:

> But I would like to pose some provocative thoughts. Many of the looters may
>have been motivated by nihilism; many may be criminals. Maybe. But many were
>motivated by the possibility of getting some money. It is easy to sit here and
>condemn someone as "greedy" because they break into a museum and steal a gold
>cup, but from their point of view, if they can sell that cup for $50, it might
>feed their family for a month or buy
> antibiotics to save the lives of their children.

I don't think this is particularly controversial.  In a system of inequality
based on private property, when control breaks down, people seize all kinds of
stuff.  What is striking is that after making promises to museum officials
about protecting this heritage the US simply let looters run wild in the
museum.  It seems the US has not learned much about the pyscho-cultural effects
its actions might have since it planted troops in the holy land of Mecca.

Steven Sherman