Re: Some provocative thoughts about looting in Iraq
by Trichur Ganesh

I think that there was a deliberateness to US policy regarding the looting.
The looting and the burning of the musemus, libraries, and art centers,  was
the looting and burning of 'cultural' treasures, it amounted to a symbolic
degrading of Iraqi collective memory, perhaps as revenge for the symbolic
destruction of finance and capital represented by the World Trade Center.  I am
inclined to think it was allowed to happen as a means of further degrading
Iraq and its people in particular, and the Arabs and the Third World in general
- as was the bombing of a mosque in which Sadaam was supposedly hiding.  But
then what does one expect of philistines who have little or no understanding of
culture, history, art or aesthetic values, whose only capacities lie in the
ability to use violence to plunder, sack, destroy, annihilate, and then to
offer humanitarian aid?   This is  military humanism, the ruling culture
of world capitalism attempting to resort to what I call a "military fix" to the
contemporary crisis, in which one of the forms the 'fix' takes is the
destruction of all traces of existence of a former (Islamic) civilization.  The
destruction once complete will then pave the way for a 'reconstructive'
solution in which coca cola and McDonald hamburgers  will replace much of what
took place before.  I doubt if it will work out in the way in which it is
imagined it will work. Ganesh.