Re: Transformation from War to Peace
by pat lauderdale

This is a response to the message below that contains statements such as:  "I
have 'encountered' several indigenous activists online engaged in SUPPORT for
Bush's war, and very proud of the Native American soldiers, organizing 'prayer
wheels' online (basically chain letters), and angered by what some call the
Iraqi "murder" of this female Native American soldier. Given the support for
these themes that I have encountered from other indigenous groups with US
representation,
I began to suspect that Amerindians were right wing imperialists who have
finally come out of the closet. No parallels, none, they insist, between 1492
and Iraq; not an invasion, but "liberation"; and the fact that Native Americans
are fighting makes the whole venture rightI began to suspect that Amerindians
were right wing imperialists who havefinally come out of the closet"...  "It
seems to me that the "oppressed" in these cases have not learned anything".

This only my response---The unabashed prejudice in the words above and in the
message below should not go unnoticed.  Even most children are aware of the
diverse reactions to the 'war' of North American Indians, that is, among the
more than 570 American Indian Nations in what is now called the United States.
The thousands of indigenous nations in the world are diverse and have varying
reactions to the 'war.'

Obviously, French people also are diverse.  The posting on February 19 on the
"The French reaction" [pasted below under P.S.] notes the irony of some of the
people in France.  I've passed it on to friends who are from France.  I did not
mention to those friends what they already know, for example, scalping was a
practice imposed on American Indians from the French and British.   The word
'savage' comes from the French.  The word 'Sioux' means cut-throat in French.
Other examples have been exposed over the past 200 years.  Military minds are
not confined to one culture.

I now will pass the message below on to friends who are now called 'American
Indians,"  "First Nations People," and other indigenous peoples I know---to be
sure that my comments are fair and clear.  First,  it's shameful to present
'American Indians' as a monolith.  Second,  there also is a gross call for
unbridled nationalism in the message below.  Third,  under the hegemonic facade
of intellectual exchange [with an ostensible  nod to Manny Wallerstein---who I
hope reads these messages and the phony use of his work], there are conclusions
based on racialization and prattle from the internet.  And, in keeping with the
tradition of the sacredness of 4, I will stop 'talking,' and listen, after
listing only number 4 next.

Fourth,  on April 3, 2003, the following was sent to me by a friend [thank you
again Gunder]:  Subject: Indigenous Peoples Declaration Against US Invasion of
Iraq
http://www.quechuanetwork.org/news_template.cfm?news_id=672&lang=s

Indigenous Peoples Declaration Against United States Invasion of Iraq

Ottawa - Canada - (Posted on Apr-01-2003) The representatives of the
Indigenous Peoples of the Americas gathered during the second Annual Forum
of Connectivity in Ottawa, Canada on March 24-26, 2003 and expressed the
following:

To join our voices to the millions of peoples around the world, including
the voices of the peoples in United States, the voice of our sister
Rigoberta Menchù Tum, 1992 Nobel Peace Prize winner and other indigenous
organizations to condemn the genocidal American invasion against the Iraqi
people.

This genocide is a crime against humanity and violates international law as
well as human and legal rights. This is a criminal invasion and it is
killing innocent children, women and the elderly.

It lacks any kind of legitimacy and cannot be justified as it violates all
declarations to live in peace. It violates the self determination and
sovereignty of peoples and the consensus reached by most states represented
in the United Nations.

The representatives of the Indigenous Peoples of the Americas strongly
request that all those responsible for these criminal acts be brought to the
International War Crimes Court and be condemned internationally.

We urge the United Nations to call for an emergency meeting of the Security
Council to condemn the United States government, and its allies decision to
go to war and we call for an immediate cease fire, while re-establishing
diplomacy to end this conflict. Furthermore, we reject any new government
imposed by the United States as it will only justify its presence in Iraq to
protect its own geo- political and geo-economic interests.

We encourage all the peoples of the world to maintain their unity and to
strengthen their mobilization against this injustice, to show their love for
peace, fraternity and intercultural dialogue.

We all shall reject the unilateral use of weapons to impose colonialist
agendas and try to eliminate the cultural diversity of the world.

As indigenous peoples, we do not condone war, violence, or any other
conflict that destroys our Mother Earth. On the contrary, we promote
dialogue as our principle and we do not reject peace.

As indigenous peoples, we have suffered genocide throughout our history and
for that reason we want to congratulate all those states that chose the
option of peace and respect for human life. Therefore, we request all those
states to make their best efforts to re-establish the multilateral order as
a legal instrument against this neo-imperialist disorder.

March 25th 2003

Signatures:

Asociación de Radios Comunitarias. ARCG. Guatemala Abya Yala Nexus USA
Bachillerato Integral Comunitario Ayujk Polivalente. BICAP. Bolivia Consejo
Indígena de Centro América . CICA. Guatemala Central Independiente de
Obreros Agrícolas y Campesinos.CIOAC. México Coalición Obrero Campesina y
Estudiantil del Istmo, COCEI. Comisión de Juristas Indígenas de Argentina.
Argentina Coordinadora Mapuche de Neuquen. Argentina Conferencia Permanente
de Pueblos Indígenas COPPIP. Peru Comision Juridica para el Autodesarrollo
de los Pueblos Originarios Andinos. CAPAJ.Peru CONAIE, Departamento de
Comunicacion. Enlace Continental de Mujeres Indigenas . Panamá Brazil
Fundación Rigoberta Menchu. Guatemala Foro Permanente sobre Pueblos
Indígenas. ONU Instituto Indigena de Propiedad Intelectual, INBRAPI. Brazil
InforCauca . Colombia Information Network of the Indigenous Peoples of the
Americas. INIPA. Canada Liga Maya Internacional . Guatemala Universidade
Federal de Mato Groso. Brasil Coordinadora Nacional de Mujeres Indígenas de
México, CNMI. México Movimiento Chirapaq. Peru Mujeres Mayas de Jovel.
México Maya-Ixil, Proyecto Enlace Quiché . Guatemala Oficina para el
Desarrollo de los Pueblos Indígenas. Guatemala Promama de Derechos
Indígenas, Instituto de Estudios Indígenas. Chile Prensa Indígena
Internacional. Canada Resurgimiento Ancestral Indígena Salvadoreño. El
Salvador Red Nacional de Trabajadoras de la Información y
Comunicación-REDADA.Bolivia RED Kechwa. USA SAPINCHIKMANTA Radio Programa en
Quecha y Castellano. Ayacucho Servicios para el Desarrollo, Pueblo Nahñu -
Mexico Unión Nacional de Mujeres Kunas. Panama

That is one of many similar declarations and statements.  To keep my word, I
will stop and listen.

Vive la all living things,
pat lauderdale

"Maximilian C. Forte" wrote:

> If I am not mistaken, in _After Liberalism_ Wallerstein claimed that
> anti-systemic movements would be judged/face challenges posed by three basic
> 'tests': where they stood on gender, social equality, and democracy. He
> seemed to suggest that essentialist and fundamentalist movements would
> crumble under the internal contradictions caused by internal inequalities
> that simply mirrored those of the external world which the movements
> presumably challenged. Now, I am not certain that this is what he said: I am
> relying on my memory of something I read seven years ago. If it is correct,
> it mirrors Ashis Nandy's concept of "isomorphic oppression". In these tests,
> for lack of a better word, I would like to add that of global peace, an
> issue that some antisystemic movements may not address, directly or
> indirectly, yet it affects everyone.
>
> The Native American piece caught my attention. I have 'encountered' several
> indigenous activists online engaged in SUPPORT for Bush's war, and very
> proud of the Native American soldiers, organizing 'prayer wheels' online
> (basically chain letters), and angered by what some call the Iraqi "murder"
> of this female Native American soldier. Given the support for these themes
> that I have encountered from other indigenous groups with US representation,
> I began to suspect that Amerindians were right wing imperialists who have
> finally come out of the closet. No parallels, none, they insist, between
> 1492 and Iraq; not an invasion, but "liberation"; and the fact that Native
> Americans are fighting makes the whole venture right.
>
> It seems to me that the "oppressed" in these cases have not learned
> anything. In Nicaragua I recall "indigenous" groups that had ties to the
> CIA. Moreover, I am not seeing any organized outcry...actually, I am not
> seeing any kind of formal statements from any indigenous federations in the
> Americas, denouncing the US invasion. Do indigenous peoples only talk about
> 'indigenous issues', and ignore what is being done to others? If so, the
> political practice there seems to be tragically self-centred, and offers no
> answers or solutions to problems that affect, and will affect, all of us.
>
> Of course, that is with the exception of this writer below, not that the
> statement was the most explicit denunciation of the war I have seen. The
> French Foreign Minister is more anti-war than any Native American voices I
> have heard so far.
>
> Vive la France,
>
> Maximilian C. Forte

P.S.  Below is the diverse face of France, pl