Re: Transformation from War to Peace
by Maximilian C. Forte

Well I can see where this is going, so I won't be drawn into the kind of ad
hominem insults presented in this person's response to my criticisms of
those American Indians who have, for lack of better judgement, posted
messages to me in support of Bush's war. Unlike some, however, I do not just
simply circulate messages without the authors' permission, and that is why
none of you would have seen some of the appallingly unquestioning and
adoring messages of support for this war that I have seen. That there are
others that instead have publicly denounced the war is a huge relief and I
was very happy to have my inadvertent generalization corrected.

As for "phony use" of "Manny Wallerstein's" work...I did not see any mention
of what the "correct" use was. I was in Wallerstein's class when this was an
assigned reading that he later of course discussed with us. My memory won't
be perfect, but show me where I was wrong, don't just say I am wrong and do
so in such a foolishly offensive fashion.

Of course responses such as Lauderdale's are predictable, part of that
racist logic that says anyone who criticizes a non-European must be racist.

Lastly, I called for "unbridled nationalism"? Where exactly? Whose
nationalism? And if you can show me where I did, then feel free to explain
how between the USA, Iraq, and the "First Nations", I am the guiltiest party
on these grounds.

But yes, it was shameful to present American Indians as a monolith. What I
should have done, instead of emoting, is simply ask: which indigenous
organizations, in North and South America, have opposed this war?

I hope this does not degenerate any further, whether because of my
statements or others.

Cheers,

Max.