Re: The Much-Vaunted US Military
by n0705590

My point is rather simple.  Russia cannot afford to provoke directly the US.
The only thing they could do is to covertly provide military equipment to
those who Russia believes should stand up.  There have been serious
allegations of Russians sending such equipment to Iraq, together with military
advisory personnel.  This would not surpise me - and they don't seem to have
been very effective.  I don't think that the US armed forces are over hyped.
If we wanted to compete here in Europe, we would need to catch up at least two
generations, as far as combat aifcrafts are concerned.  Now, I totally agree
that in some specific conditions this overwhelming techonological superiority
might be pretty insignificant (urban or guerrilla warfare in general).
However, I don't think that yanks are stupid enough to forget the lessons they
learnt in Vietnam. I think that the Iraqui resistance has only showed that
even a meaningful stand is doomed to failure  - precisely because the only
conditions in which the US technological superiority becomes meaningless (i.e.
guerilla warfare) requires massive popular commitment.  This is the sort of
commitment that Teheran might command, but certainly not Pyongyang. The US
will never go to North Korea, because it is an insignificant place,
strategically unimportant, a poor desparate country in the periphery of the
world.  How long that regime will last is anybody's guess.

Damian Popolo
PhD candidate
Newcastle University
Department of Politics