Re: After Iraq?
by Boris Stremlin

The EU will indeed have to provide Russia with political cover in order to
tip the scales.  Putin sits on the fence until he sees an opening.  Right
now, he is saying that it is not in Russia's economic and
political interests for the US to lose in Iraq.  Of course, US victory
seems pretty certain at this point.  He is supported in this by the
Russian "liberal media", most of which comes out of institutions set up by
US money, and which has been pushing the line that a US defeat will hurt
Russia economically and bring about the rise of China (which they see as a
worse alternative).  The argument rests on the belief that US primacy, not
only military but economic, is unprecedented, and that the US holds the
key to Russia's integration into the global economic structures (WTO,
etc.).

On the other hand, Putin also said that he expects the UN to take a
leading role in Iraq's reconstruction, and he has had the two Ivanovs (the
foreign and defense ministers) adopt a more aggressive stance toward the
US.  The majority of the population supported Iraq in the war, and the
generals seem to have prevailed on the Kremlin to increase military
spending and to raise its profile in Central Asia.  Elections are coming
up, and surprisingly enough, the Communists (recently described as "the
best opposition money can buy", though I suppose the US Democrats have
been giving them competition in this regard lately) are showing fairly
strong numbers.  Putin's parliamentary party will have to look tough for
the domestic audience.

Of course, Russia has been military involved with Syria, North Korea and
Iran for some time, but it will take greater support from the other world
powers for them to step it up enough to seriously challenge the US (and it
is difficult to see what, short of helping Iran develop its nukes, they
can do).  Condi Rice was just in Moscow offering Russia a few economic
concessions in Iraq in order to get Putin to fall into line.  He is now
waiting for what the EU will offer.  Chechnya has just held a
Kremlin-sponsored election where Kadyrov was essentially awarded
dictatorial power in return for renouncing the drive for independence.
Perhaps this will take Chechnya out of the news eventually, and make
allying with Russia more palatable for the EU.  At the same time
however, the Europeans have announced plans for setting up a Chechnya war
crimes tribunal, which, needless to say, has the Kremlin seeing red.  It
will have to reach an understanding with the EU on this matter before it
can afford to cut loose of the US.  In the long term, however, the
argument that the US is economically helpful to Russia seems to me quite
specious.  Not only have pundits overestimated US economic strength
globally, but thus far, Russia has seen little benefit from its post 9/11
relationship with the US - little progress on WTO, Jackson-Vanik is still
in effect, etc.  And of course, given the composition of the Bush team, it
is fairly unlikely that it will really forgive Russia for its stance on
Iraq, and moreover, other military conflicts along Russia's periphery will
make Putin seek alternatives in the not-too-distant future.

--
Boris Stremlin
bstremli@binghamton.edu