Re: After Iraq?
by n0705590

For as much as I would wish to see the emergence of a multipolar world, I just
don't think this can happen without EU leadership.  Sadly, I believe the EU
and the Euro are the only factors that can end the US dollar hegemony, upon
which the mighty Pentagon also rests.  Russia is not even being allowed to
join OPEC, īt is humiliated and it is in no state of going around planet earth
provoking the US.  Europe and Japan are vital for the US insofar they
partially cover for the massive US trade deficit through FDI and US Treasury
Bonds.  Besides, I really wonder to what extent the Russian military apparatus
would be able to stand up to the hyper technological US armed forces.

>===== Original Message From Threehegemons@aol.com =====
>I've been thinking lately about the prospects that the Russian military will
be dragged into the mess the Americans are making.  Consider:

>Russia has been uneasy about all US military interventions in
South/East/Central Asia.  Whereas European liberals welcomed the bombing of
Belgrade, Russia consistently denounced this policy, because of historic ties
to the Serbs, and, I suspect, strategic interests its difficult to quickly
identify.  Before the US bombing of Afghanistan, the northern alliance was
seen as a Russian sponsored project. Now it is installed in Kabul, but the
Americans are still there. Its hard to determine exactly what's going on in
Afghanistan today--certainly Russia still has concrete reasons to be uneasy
about chaos on its Southern border.   Rumsfield has accused Russia of offering
modest assistance to Iraq. Russia can't possibly be happy about the prospect
of the US strengthening ties to some of the former Soviet republics in the
South so it can fight more wars in the region. I have also heard rumors that a
popular Russian internet site offering military analysis may be a pipeline for
Iraqi p!
> ropaganda.
>
>Consider also:  The US has made it clear it plans to deepen its intervention
in the region, as  noted in the article Khaldoun posted. No conventional army
stands in the US' way.  If Iran were to announce tommorrow that it is testing
a nuke, this would impede the US, but it seems unlikely.  'Terrorist' attacks
on US troops or even on US soil seem unlikely, in the short term, to reverse
US involvement in the region.

>Russia, unlike Western Europe (but like the US), still has a vital
militaristic culture.  In the short, perhaps even medium term, Europe is out
of ideas as to how to stop the US.  The UN isn't effective, and Western Europe
probably doesn't want to iniatate economic warfare (although it may be pushed
in this direction through popular pressure).  Could Russia begin to emerge as
the military arm of Europe, offering arms, and perhaps even troops, to Syria
or Iran to defend themselves? Russia may plausibly believe that the US would
worry about the Russian military in a way it does not worry about Iraq, Syria,
etc.  Could a messy game of 'chicken' ensue?

>BTW, just so I don't clutter your mailbox with extra posts, my problem with
the War for the Dollar theory is timing--the US/Britain broke off and began
bombing Iraq in 1998 (I believe, haven't looked up the date recently).  Iraq
went to the Euro in 1999.  Certainly the Euro is one element in the declining
ability of the US to control Europe  and the semiperiphery.

>Steven Sherman

Damian Popolo
PhD candidate
Newcastle University