Re: Why doesn't the world act against the US?
by Chanzo Greenidge

For those interested in taking (economic) action against the United States, please go to:

www.adbusters.org

Join and support the Boycott Brand America Campaign

Chanzo Greenidge

>From: Trichur Ganesh
>To: "Maximilian C. Forte" , Trichur Ganesh , wsn@csf.colorado.edu, threehegemons@aol.com
>Subject: Re: Why doesn't the world act against the US?
>Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:47:41 -0500
>
>Dr.Maximilian, you raise some interesting points for discussion. There are a
>few things here, which I would like to point out as partial response(s):
>(1) The US today is the space of concentration of weapons of mass destruction
>(the most effective means of coercion in short, lie in the US).
>(2) The "pre-emptive war(s)" that is being waged today is being waged at least
>partly to ensure that no other space is capable of containing comparable
>concentration of weapons of mass destruction.
>(3) The point of doing so, I would argue, is to bring to the fore the question
>of scarcity of protection supply and to thereby raise protection costs. The
>monopoly in the ownership of the means of violence would ensure a continuing
>role for the US in a world order that is no longer ordered under the post-World
>War II regime of accumulation of capital and means of violence-production.
>4) Surely one of the most glaring forms of world inequality today, I argue, is
>the effect(s) of the glaring disparity in the concentration of "effective" (i.e.
>technologically sophisticated as in the ways in which Paul Virilio speaks of
>"war at the speed of light") means of coercion in the US (in particular, and in
>the spaces of the North in general) and the "rest" (the South). Another form of
>the same disparity - outside of the US - is the State apparatuses everywhere and
>their ownership of the means of coercion versus the unarmed citizens (exception
>being the US).
>(5) The effects of this global anomaly(ies) have not however prevented mass
>demonstrations and protests from declaring that despite this imbalance in the
>ownership of means of violence, contemporary states everywhere are
>illegitimate. (6) How will this crisis of legitimacy be resolved? This is the
>question of the moment, Maximilian. For it is indeed a question of the crisis
>of global democracy and global terror unleashed by US power and reactionary
>Islamic (and other) fundamentalisms.
>(7) Which states will take up arms for Iraq? I doubt if any of the Gulf states
>will do so - the interests of the ruling classes there are very closely tied up
>with US power. The problem of the Middle East, I argue, is the problem of a
>common resource(oil) which has high scarcity value, but which is being
>squandered for the most ignoble of uses - in the West for the maintenance of
>high levels of automobility, in the Middle East for the maintenance of high
>levels of consumption among the upper classes there. There is in short no unity
>among the Arab states other than the fundamentalist unity supplied by Islam.
>What about Europe? No European state can by itself or in combination with any
> [...]

MSN Messenger: converse com os seus amigos online. Instale grátis. Clique aqui.