Re: Nationalism as the Enemy of Human Liberation
by Threehegemons

In a message dated 3/15/2003 6:18:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
wwagar@binghamton.edu writes:

>    Meanwhile, the task of liberation falls, in a capitalist society,
> to all those who work for a living as opposed to all those who exploit
> workers for a living.  Work cannot be unthought until we have unthought
> and replaced the system that has converted most of us into
> workers.

A couple of points--first, most people in the world don't work for wages.  As a
result of huge structural unemployment and the high mobility of capital,
workplace organizing is generally ineffectual these days, except where (ahem)
national governments remain unusually strong.

If I were to try to capture the 'essence' of the problem with capitalism today,
I'd say its the private control of wealth and land, which makes creating a
bountiful society for everyone impossible (Notably, the most vital struggles
these days are mostly around land issues (MST, Zapatistas, Palestinians, etc)
rather than workplace confrontations.  Its not a question of dividing up the
working day into A (work done for reproduction) B(work appropriated by
capitalists).

Steve