Remember the postmodern simulacra?
by Threehegemons

I'm not sure how well this will do in actually attracting tourists....

Steve

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_755456.html?menu=news.quirkies.businessquirkies

Communist theme park to be set up in Berlin

A theme park that lets visitors travel back to in time to communist East
Germany is to be set up in Berlin.

The GDR Fun Park will be built in the east of the formerly divided city.

Visitors will pay about £8 to spend the day watching old news programmes and
films before a GDR-style lunch.

German newspapers say it is not yet clear whether lunch orders will be met with
the traditional GDR reply of: "Ain't got that." Theme park visitors will also
be able to ride the infamous Trabant cars.

GDR citizens usually had to wait years before being allotted one of these, and
the cars were generally mocked as being made almost entirely from plastic.

Art historian Susanna Reih is part of the team working on the project. She says
the park will not try and make fun of times when the iron curtain was still up.

She told the Tagesspiegel newspaper: "What we want to do is create a space
where you can experience everyday GDR culture."

Both Reih and the other organisers of the park are Wessis - as the residents of
former West Germany are nicknamed today. The 12,000 square metre park is set to
open next summer.

Story filed: 11:20 Friday 28th February 2003