Re: The insight of Gibran Tueni may be correct
by Threehegemons

In a message dated 2/26/2003 5:04:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
shepperd@austincc.edu writes:

>  EGYPT Most dramatically, Egyptian leader Hosni Mubarak just invited
> Israel's re-elected Ariel Sharon for a state visit to Cairo while at the
> same time dispatching his son to Washington to suck up to the
> administration. The country's government-controlled media has stopped its
> anti-American diatribes and coverage. Clearly, Egypt wants to curry U.S.
> favour, play a visible role in eventually helping to solve the Israeli
> problem and do business with the eventual U.S. protectorate
> of Iraq.

Hmm--So Egypt, an undemocratic state with a terrible human rights record, is
changing in the right direction by sucking up to the major war mongerer in the
area (Sharon) and further steering its media?  I think we need less 'positive'
changes of this sort, not more.

Steven Sherman