Re: News from Atimes Online (fwd)
by Threehegemons
25 February 2003 19:25 UTC

Friedman wrote: "The new world system is also bipolar, but instead of being
divided between East and West (as in the Cold War) it is divided between the
World of Order and the World of Disorder. The World of Order is built on four
pillars: the United States, European Union-Russia, India and China, along with
all the smaller powers around them. The World of Disorder comprises failed
states (such as Liberia), rogue states (Iraq and North Korea), messy states -
states that are too big to fail but too messy to work (Pakistan, Colombia,
Indonesia, many Arab and African states) - and finally the terrorist and mafia
networks that feed off the World of Disorder."

I was struck by this formulation when Friedman first made it.  Of the four
pillars of 'order', two (Russia and India) are embroiled in messy, seemingly
interminable conflicts on their borders (perhaps we should say three, if we
count Israel as basically a part of the US).  Furthermore, their current
leaders, as well as China's (and for that matter, the US), have hardly made the
securing of minority and individual rights their touchstone.  Japan, which is
quite orderly, relatively speaking, is completely forgotten.  The
semi-peripheral countries where democracy and freedom might be said to have
made encouraging advances in the last couple of decades--Brazil, South Africa,
South Korea--are also ignored.

After the February 15 protests, the NY Times made the interesting observation
that there are now two superpowers in the world--the US and global public
opinion.  But 'public opinion' also has a geopolitical correlate.  It's cause
has been taken up by one of the four pillars described above (EU-Russia) and is
supported as well by the states I've suggested are models of semi-peripheral
progress.  Meanwhile, the US has 'new Europe' and Israel, and Turkey, if the US
can afford the bribe (the US also seems to like Pakistan, even though
Friedman's thrown it into the world of disorder).  I don't see the 'world of
order' coming together as a stable coalition.

Steven Sherman