Re: new immanence - Chirac cheats!
by Yurek Gierus
17 February 2003 21:14 UTC

Dear Damian,

I understand what you are talking about. The essence of my intervention is that we are witnessing something new. The necessity to take a stand vis a vis US in Iraq crisis on the one hand and the pressures to act decisively in the face of ongoing European expansion on the other hand combine to bring forth a new European quality, better suited to what some call a post modern condition. Lets wait and see.

Yurek

-------Original Message-------

From: n0705590
Date: 17 luty 2003 09:33:23
Subject: RE: new immanence - Chirac cheats!

Dear Yurek,

I really wish I coould agree with your diagnosis, but I don't. It seems to me
that the European 'peace movement' is nothing more than fluke. Where was
Chirac during the Kosovo crisis? Ordering his planes to bomb civilian tragets
in Yugoslavia. Chirac is no pacifist, and I can bet my mortgage over this: as
war on Irak will be declared, the French are going to be right in it, bombing
as they did in Kosovo and in the first Gulf war. The Germans and the French
are just trying to ride a wave of popular sentiment which is totally
ephemeric...again, were well all this pacifists during the Kosovo war (the
most blatant violation of international law ever since the concept was
embedded in the UN. It is amazing how stupid people are some times - if we
talk about a war for months and take it to the UN they complain, if we just
decided to bomb...well, that seems to be just fine

Damian Popolo
PhD candidate
Newcastle University
Department of Politics