Re: Techno-Logic
by Alan Spector
13 February 2003 14:48 UTC

more widespread as various forces attack major centers of power, Steve
suggested this as one possibility:

<<Two, begin the process of thinking through how to produce technology and
living spaces not prone to this sort of attack (no sign of this yet, to say
the least). >>
==============

A comment:

Then again, there is the growing trend of "gated communities". At first they
were only in upscale suburban areas, but we are seeing more and more of them
in urban settings as well.......perhaps gas masks will be distributed by the
Homeowners Association........

Alan Spector

----- Original Message -----
From: <Threehegemons@aol.com>
To: <wwagar@binghamton.edu>; <wsn@csf.colorado.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 6:02 PM
Subject: Re: Techno-Logic

> In a message dated 2/12/2003 2:13:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
wwagar@binghamton.edu writes:

> Warren--I agree with you that part of the significance of the World Trade
Center attacks lies in its demonstration of the possibility of new forms of
warfare.  I am not sure how this will hasten the decline of US hegemony.
The emergence of new forms of warfare has always been part of hegemonic
transitions.

> In all likelihood, states will begin the process of learning how to adjust
to these forms of warfare, based on the heightened destructive power made
possible by modern technology, medicine, warfare, etc and the high
concentrations of people (office buildings, malls).  I can imagine two ways
this'll be done.  One, turn the whole of modern society into a garrison (the
direction the US has begun to take--although I suspect its doomed to
accelerate rather than hinder the process of making society sabateur prone).
Two, begin the process of thinking through how to produce technology and
living spaces not prone to this sort of attack (no sign of this yet, to say
the least).

> But basically, I agree that transformations in the nature of warfare need
to be incorporated into analysis of contemporary change.