Re: Opposition Stats
by Elson Boles
12 February 2003 20:41 UTC

Thanks for putting me onto that site Mark.

Attached is part of the stunning results of the international survey on
US war plans for Iraq by Gallup International.

Upshot: the vast majority of Europeans are against their country
supporting a war against Iraq.

For example, in answer to the question, "Are you in favour of military
action against Iraq?" among the respondants of 22 EU countries, 50% or
more of the populations of 12 of them answered "Under no circumstances."
In all, those who responded with this answer ranged from 39% (Ireland)
and 38% (Netherlands) to 74% (Spain), 75% (Bosnia & Herzgovina), to 76%
(FYR Macedonia).

More significant, in answer to the question, "If military action goes
ahead against Iraq, do you think your country should or should not
support this action,"  50% or more respondants in 19 of the 22 countries
answered "Should not support."
The percentages of the "minority three" opposed to their country
supporting the war ranges from 41% (Russia and the UK) to 45% opposed
(Albania).  Among the majority of countries with 50% or more opposed to
the idea of their country supporting the war, the range is from 51
(Denmark) to 79% (Finland) and 90% (Switzerland).

Get all at: http://www.gallup-international.com/surveys.htm

Elson