world democracy vs. the fiction of sovereignty
by Elson Boles
11 February 2003 16:03 UTC

If the world were to hold a plebiscite today, it would overwhelming vote
against the US war on Iraq.  I think we should demand world democracy
(as one of the principle for a new world-system).  I think we should
point out, with the looming war as an example, that real state
sovereignty has always been a fiction anyway, and that this is most
clearly stated by Bush officials who claim that it is the "sovereign
right" of the US to deny the "sovereign rights" of Iraq.

Elson Boles
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Sociology
Saginaw Valley State University