Re: Powell's Exquisite Evidence: Internet Plagiarism
by Carl Nordlund
09 February 2003 22:34 UTC

Just sketching up a conspiracy thought here, for the fun of it. Moderator:
if irrelevant, please refrain from posting to WSN!

Remember the paper that leaked from the UK Ministry of Defence a couple of
weeks ago where it clearly was stated that there are no links between Iraq
and al-Qaeda?
(http://europe.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/02/05/sprj.irq.blair.alqaeda.ap/inde
x.html) Such leaks are, as I understand it, not that very common.

Well, what if this latest intelligence scandal, with Powell using a MI6
report based on outdated academic journal stuff, which is such an incredible
stupid way of conducting intelligence, had as its intention just what has
happened now? I can't believe MI6 or the UK intelligences in general can
have overseen the possibility that at least someone did recognize the
report's text!

So: perhaps the Xeroxing done by MI6, as well as the previous leaking of the
Ministry of Defence report to Channel 4, both were intentional?

Why? There are perhaps a number of motives in this 'intentional' scenario:
UK showing a firm committment to the USA and its war drums, while at the
same time de facto undermining the arguments for going to war, thus perhaps
not following Blair's own personal committment (who, if I remember
correctly, was prepared to 'risk it all' on this issue, 'all' here referring
to his position as PM) but still following UK, not to mention European,
public opinion. Intelligence organizations are built up over quite a long
time frame - perhaps there are internal political motives behind committing
these two blunders?

/Carl Nordlund