Re: Critique of World-System Ideology (1) - Comparative Exploitation
by Quee-Young Kim

I have always wondered why Wallerstein never labeled his approach
as a "paradigm" but as "world-system analysis". Would be it fair
to call his approach as "a set of ideas" rather than a paradigm?
To me, his approach appears like a paradigm in the sense that it
contains some partial confirmation of empirical reality, a coherent
world-view, a unique methodological approach toward understanding
historical reality, and a community of practioners.

If we can call it a paradigm, then some "interesting" implications
may emerge. Like all paradigms, it may be replaced by another
paradigm, if we accept what Thomas Kuhn saw as the pattern
in the life-history of knowledge.

I am wondering whether that was the reason why he did not want to call it
a paradigm.

Quee-Young   Kim
Department of Sociology
University of Wyoming